Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Historical Fiction Reviews
Historical fiction is one of the genres hardest to write well, and, conversely, one of the easiest to botch. Let’s be clear about that at the outset.<br>
<br>
Many members of Roman Army Talk enjoy this particular flavor of literary endeavor and no doubt form the core constituency of some or all of the novelists who are members of this forum. Therefore, a bit of clarification is in order for those inclined to write down and favor the rest of us with their literary views.<br>
<br>
Book reviews mean a great deal to a novelist. Even negative ones sometimes have meat for digestion. Yet those who write them often labor under various misconceptions. If they are aware of them, these errors can be corrected and all might benefit. A valuable review need not be favorable. It simply must be coherent and based upon a knowledge of how novels are written and published in the 21st century.<br>
<br>
The first problem with many reviewers is that they frequently find themselves in the wrong aisle, but insist on blaming the floor plan rather than their own poor sense of direction. <em>Legion</em> is a medium-length novel of swift narrative and short patches of dialogue. I was once severely criticized in print by a lover of thousand-page tomes that are replete with page after page of verbal rumination. Clearly he was in the wrong aisle. Those who seek long, leisurely books to be read over Kentucky bourbon on a cold winter night should look elsewhere. He resented the factâ€â€Â
There are probably people out there who thought Tolkein got it wrong too.<br>
<br>
I am reminded of a New Yorker cartoon some years ago: obviously a large auditorium with a banner "People Who Found Fault with 'Dances With Wolves' ", and may be three people in the audience. Speaker balloon said "and then those wolves.."<br>
<br>
<p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Rich:<br>
<br>
My favorite writer's quote of all time is from Edgar Rice Burroughs:<br>
<br>
<em>For thirty years I have been writing deathless classics, and I suppose that I shall keep on writing them until I am gathered to the bosom of Abraham. In all those years I have not learned one single rule for writing fiction, or anything else. I still write as I did thirty years ago: stories which I feel would entertain me and give me mental relaxation, knowing that there are millions of people just like me who will like the same things that I like.</em><br>
<br>
There's more wisdom and eloquence in that than in anything I could ever hope to say.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Hi Bill<br>
I do appreciate your participating to this forum of strange and opinionated people.<br>
<br>
We complain of novelists and film makers not because we claim to know how a book or film should be made; we complain because we feel our ancient-army hobby has been again underdeveloped or outright betrayed. We love our hobby and think everyone should too. To see a Gladiator, a Mel Gibson, a Troy, a King Arthur movie get the cool things wrong again is frustrating. To read a book that doesn't do the fighting scenes justice (in our imagination) is frustrating even if the characters are well developed and this or that detail or stylistic issue is cared for.<br>
<br>
I have not read your book but I do intend to. Of course your book will have to contend with how I imagine the roman world and army in particular. But this is the typical problem that arises when a person reads a book about a topic he has already knows/imagined about. <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Hello Bill,<br>
<br>
Not everyone here is a re-enactor, and those of us who aren't may be slightly less nit-picky about exact details. However, you will still have to contend with the dreaded 'favourite author syndrome.' This is particularly hard to overcome when the "favourite author" is dead.<br>
<br>
Symptoms of 'favourite author syndrome:'<br>
<br>
1. Endlessly searching for a live writer who writes in exactly the same style as the admired dead one(s).<br>
<br>
2. Rereading the same books by favourite authors over and over again because you can't find a live author who writes in exactly the same style as the admired dead one(s).<br>
<br>
3. Ruthlessly trashing the work of any upstart who calls himself/herself an historical novelist and does not live up to your standards (i.e. the style of the admired dead one(s) ).<br>
<br>
It is extremely difficult to become the favourite author, but if you manage it, and are still alive and pumping out novels, your favourite-author-syndrome-suffering readership will be pitifully grateful. <p><span style="color:maroon;">"I am an admirer of the ancients,but not like some people so as to despise the talent of our own times." Pliny the Younger</span></p><i></i>
I feel it is necessary to stop lurking for five minutes just to say my piece on the ridiculous and rather intimidating diatribe I have just read from Bill Altimari.<br>
<br>
I found that Mr Altimari seems to be living in a bit of dream world and needs to be brought back to reality before his inflated ego causes more damage.<br>
<br>
Firstly this part of the forum is a review section. The purpose of which is to review books. You cannot pigeonhole a reviewer into any category. You cannot disregard a reviewer just because they may not have waxed lyrical about your work. It is frankly ridiculous of you to try place a reviewer into a simple grouping. Mr Altimari, more often than not a review is just a review.<br>
<br>
You wrote “<em>Half-baked or over-baked reviews are merely exercises in vanity, envy, or petulance</em>.â€ÂÂ
Gosh! <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Bill and Carol, two sides of the same medal?<br>
<br>
Bill, I agree with most of your post, some people you can't please, ever. You may have chosen the wrong example (I agree with Carol on this one, that review was not merely about the lenght), but you're right about people being judgemental in reviews.<br>
<br>
However, I disagree with your third point. Of course one does not have to be a novelist to write a review? Did you never evr write a review before your first book was published? I once received such a comment from a 'disciple' of some author, denying me the right to comment because I was not a published author myself. Utter drivel. About constraint I wouldn't know, but then I don't put my ideas in my reviews, only comments on the book under review. And who's to judge which reviews are half- or over-baked?<br>
<br>
Carol, That was a bit harsh, no? I mean<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>I found that Mr Altimari seems to be living in a bit of dream world and needs to be brought back to reality before his inflated ego causes more damage.<hr><br>
Who are you to judge him? Review the book, not the writer! Good of you to give us some details (I agree with most of your comments about the technicalities), but why get personal?<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
My post was written from the heart not the brain. I am afraid my anger at the sheer arrogance of the first post made my blood boil. My reply was not meant to be personal, thus, to get me to write with such venom takes some doing.<br>
<br>
Carol <p></p><i></i>
Well, Carol, I’m relieved you didn’t mean your posting to be personal.<br>
<br>
An <em>ad hominem</em> attack on someone you don’t know makes for a diverting read, as well as proves the point of my essay far more eloquently than my words ever could. The tiny piece (“diatribeâ€ÂÂ
Bill, it has been a pleasure reading these posts. I've had five different kinds of review myself, in the following categories :<br>
<br>
1. Enjoyed the book (Amazon. I like these ones. I must write more of them.)<br>
2. Enjoyed the book, but it was wrong in certain key aspects. (Amazon. Don't mind these.)<br>
3. The author should be burned for his disregard...etc.<br>
(Amazon.) These are the most interesting, in a way. Sometimes, they are a blatant attempt to show what the reviewer knows about the subject. Some are so vicious it beggars belief. I have written reviews of books I liked, but never about books I hated. What, exactly, is the point? I do not believe reviewers in this category really feel such a brotherhood that they are compelled to warn unsuspecting potential buyers of the evils of a book. The level of vitriol undermines the case, at least for me.<br>
<br>
4. One completely unique review that satirized my writing style with agonising skill and still managed to be funny. Whoever wrote it was clever enough to be forgiven all. I reproduce it here from Amazon:<br>
<br>
"Reviewer: Nigri Libri from Sparta<br>
(an excerpt from the last book in the series)<br>
<br>
Julius stabbed an iron hard, but wry, glance at the glowering heavens as he paused a moment on the very marble steps that climbed stiffly towards the tumultuously bronze doors of the senate house. Around him the crowd stood in awed chattering as they beheld the man who was almost a god to them.<br>
‘Lo!’ Said one wizened crone, who wore the years on her back like old rags. ‘A king is come amongst us. Lo!’<br>
The tossing tumult all but drowned out her frail voice. But Julius, with his perfectly tuned, and turned, ear picked out the thin cry and turned sternly towards her. He nodded. ‘Hullo to you too, old mother.’<br>
At his side Brutus forced a grin at his childhood friend’s bon mot. ‘Nice one, Julius. Wish I’d said it.’<br>
‘You will Brutus, you will.’<br>
His friend clapped him on the shoulder and propelled Julius up the steps. The dictator frowned loftily at his friend’s alacrity. ‘What’s up? We’re not late.’<br>
‘No.’ Brutus smiled, and continued under his breath, ‘but you will be…’<br>
Senators, clad in the whitest raiment, clustered round in apparent worshipping supplication and Julius waved at the airily as he strode, manfully, inside the senate house. Suddenly, and without warning, a small party of ferocious faced foemen stood in the dictator’s path, mouths twisted into expressions of feral rage and shifty envy. Julius felt a spike of fear poke through his stomach, pierce his spine, and zip back round to take him painfully in the rear.<br>
‘What’s this?’ He said with icy pose. ‘A welcoming committee?’<br>
‘Get him!’ Snarled Casca, a curmudgeonly, conceited, constipated coward of a man. The small mob lurched forward, brandishing daggers. For an instant Julius felt a tremor of fear before the long years of training under Renius – the toughest gladiator in the world – kicked in and he crouched in a fighting posture, toes curled up, their wickedly sharpened nails ready to make terrible rents in his the soft, over-indulged flesh of his enemies.<br>
‘Ave at you!’ He bellowed in wry, ironic, sardonic and allegoric greeting. The two sides flew at each other, the air between them torn by war-cries. Then, with a deafening clash of Titans, they came together and the air was filled with the terrible flicker of well-honed blades and carefully sharpened toenails. Julius had the better of them, and the thick atmosphere was filled with a thunderstorm of blood-drops that rained down on them like, well, rain. Soon it flowed round the ankles of the epic struggle. One by one the senators fell, to be trampled into the sea of gore by the dwindling ranks of their companions until, at last, Julius stood, panting, facing his last enemy.<br>
‘Et tu Brute?’<br>
Brutus glanced at the vision of vengeance, and turned to run. There was a flicker as Julius snatched up a dagger, flipped it neatly and hurled the blade after his enemy. It was cast perfectly and struck his erstwhile friend, now revealed as a twisted, treacherous turn-coat of a traitor, in the back of the head. He collapsed like a punctured wineskin.<br>
Julius sniffed with contempt and shaking the creases out of his crimson splattered toga virilis he stepped over the bodies of the senatores and planted his caligae on the steps towards the throne. It had been a bad day, but had turned out nicely and now he would, he realised with a smug grin, become a god.<br>
<br>
Author's Historical Note: Julius was an amazing chap and all round good egg. It’s a scandal that his brilliant career was cut short by a bunch of sour mortals. So, in the interests of a publisher friendly tale, I’ve changed history completely and come up with, well, whatever I thought would sound good. Saved me having to do a lot of background reading, I can tell you!"<br>
<br>
Ouch! But, my god, at least he'd read the book!<br>
<br>
<br>
5. Lastly, those on this site who were frankly, a damn sight better informed, with less to prove. I think on the whole, that I prefer to be ripped up here than on Amazon.<br>
<br>
Best wishes Bill. Slings and arrows etc.<br>
<br>
Conn <p></p><i></i>
Unless it's a review, by Carol, obviously, Bill. Not the sort of thing you usually get here.<br>
<br>
Conn <p></p><i></i>
...the annoying extra comma in that last post, or the fact that I wrote three in a row and am therefore replying twice to myself and therefore look an idiot.<br>
<br>
Conn <p></p><i></i>
Conn:<br>
<br>
Thank you for your kind words of affirmation. I agree wholeheartedly that negative reviewers posing as altruists and as early warning devices for readers are a sham. The venom in their reviews precludes the possibility that they are benefactors of the unsuspecting and unwashed public. As you say, their vitriol betrays their pose.<br>
<br>
Reading a novel is such an elective enterpriseâ€â€Â
<em>Caius peered over the rock and looked at the chaos that he had caused. Today he had learnt a very important lesson. Sticks were not made for prodding in hornet’s nests.</em><br>
<br>
I think it fair to say it was my (allbeit half baked) review that started all this.<br>
<br>
In regards to your message about reviewing, although I am sure you meant to be helpful (and indeed it is) and steer the reviewer away from the pitfalls awaiting them, your message did come across as a little harsh and did offend just as much as any criticism aimed at you may have done.<br>
<br>
Carols broadside I expect was more scathing than it was intended to be and her omission of the good reviews that are indeed in the majority was not meant I am sure as a further attack, but to emphasise her point on the review you chose to use in your message. Also, Roberts comments were not aimed at you, indeed he rallied to your defence for the most part. I just hope we can all move on now.<br>
<br>
Before I go back to hiding behind my rock may I propose that this thread is ended now. I think it would best if I will keep my views to myself in future.<br>
<br>
Caius <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=caiusmariusseverus>Caius Marius Severus</A> at: 6/28/04 9:30 am<br></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Historical Fiction Yehya 8 1,419 02-10-2022, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Niedel
  Armarium Magnum - Historical Book Reviews Tim O\'Neill 1 2,473 03-19-2011, 02:02 AM
Last Post: Virilis
  Can anyone reccomend some good historical fiction? Emerodius 27 5,870 11-16-2010, 04:52 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius