Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Source of an anecdode: Catapults firing Jars of Snakes
For my paper on ancient naval warfare I'm looking for the source of an anecdote about a Hellenistic admiral firing jars full of venomous snakes at the opposing fleet, to the discomfort of their crews ("We don't need no m* f* snakes on this m* f* quinquireme!"?). Its one of the few clear references to the use of stone-throwing engines on warships. I'm thinking Polyaenus or Fronto, but I can't remember where I saw it cited.

L. Sprague de Camp borrowed this in his Planet Krishna novel The Hand of Zei (1950).
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
for Helenistic I think you must look in Polyainos and Froninus Stratgems
but Snakes on naval battles are atributed to Arabs. some criniclers talk about it in the 1st siege of Konstantinoupolis 717. B.C.
Kind regards
Quote: the 1st siege of Konstantinoupolis 717. B.C.

Wow! That is early for a city that received that name only a thousand years later... :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
whoops :oops:

For Helenistic I think you must look in Polyainos and Froninus Stratagems
but snakes on naval battles are atributed to Arabs. Some croniclers talk about it in the 1st siege of Konstantinoupolis 717. A.D.
Kind regards.

Guess it is better now :!:
I thought you meant Byzantium...... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Eureka! Frontinus, Strategems, 4.7.9-11 says as follows (from Lascus Curtius, Charles Bennet tr.)

9Gnaeus Scipio, in a naval combat, hurled jars filled with pitch and rosin among the vessels of the enemy, in order that damage might result both from the weight of the missiles and from the scattering of their contents, which would serve as fuel for a conflagration.

10Hannibal suggested to King Antiochus that he hurl jars filled with vipers among the ships of the enemy, in order that the crews, through fear of these, might be kept from fighting and from performing their nautical duties.

11Prusias did the same, when his fleet was by now giving way.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Seems chaliph Moabiah studied frontinus carefully but the Byzantines put their trust ot Greek Fire.
Kind regards
If I recall correctly, this is also mentioned for Trajan's siege of Hatra. Reference???? (In other words: I may be wrong.)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I bought an interesting book on the terror weapons of the ancients, haven't read it yet though!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:If I recall correctly, this is also mentioned for Trajan's siege of Hatra. Reference???? (In other words: I may be wrong.)
Ha, I got it: Herodian 3.9, referring to insects from the pots.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I still can't believe the Hannibal of the Second Punic War thought up the idea. He seems to have had a thing for exciting new uses for unfortunate animals to defeat his enemies: I'm remembering the thing with the stampeded cattle bearing torches. Harry Turtledove borrowed that one for his Misplaced Legion series.
Nullis in verba

Quote:...anecdote about a Hellenistic admiral firing jars full of venomous snakes at the opposing fleet, to the discomfort of their crews...

But this is as far as ancient warfare got in chemical warfare. AFAIK, the use of poisonous gas remained unknown throughout antiquity, although such gas can be easily produced from a variety of natural plants and can be very effective during sieges in tunnel combat.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Another interesting (i.e. artillery-related!) thread I missed this week. :roll:
But I see you boys have got it all figured out! Smile

Quote:... gas can be easily produced from a variety of natural plants and can be very effective during sieges in tunnel combat.
But not as spectacular as a swarm of bees!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Another interesting (i.e. artillery-related!) thread I missed this week. :roll:
But I see you boys have got it all figured out! Smile

Eleatic Guest:3ht9ey87 Wrote:... gas can be easily produced from a variety of natural plants and can be very effective during sieges in tunnel combat.
But not as spectacular as a swarm of bees!

Where? Big Grin
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Greeks used hornets/wasps/bees quite a bit in the Peloponesian war and before I think..
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel