Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions on the deployment of auxiliaries and the praefectus castrorum's role
Hello,

A recent Netflix show has just reignited my interest in Roman military history and so I come bearing questions. Rome's use of auxiliaries has always fascinated me and I was wondering, in the Principate, who was in charge of deciding which auxiliaries would be used in a specific campaign? And how would they decide whether or not to bring more units of archers or more units of cavalry etc.? Was there a general rule as to how many (and what kind of) auxiliary units should accompany a legion on campaign or on garrison duties?

I also have questions about the role of the praefectus castrorum. My understanding is that he was a lot like the modern quartermaster or logistics officer of the legion. But at the same time, he was a highly experienced centurion as well. So what would he be doing during a battle? Also, supposing his seniors were incapacitated, would he be in command of the legion plus the auxiliaries or just the legion?

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
Questions on the deployment of auxiliaries and the praefectus castrorum's role - by Keeper of the Sacred Chickens - 01-18-2021, 01:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sources about the praefectus castrorum Principe Alessandro 22 5,304 04-23-2014, 01:28 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  The Role & Status of "Praefectus Castrorum" C.Armiger 24 7,119 07-22-2007, 08:24 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  The Praefectus Castrorum... Anonymous 4 2,627 05-17-2002, 10:26 PM
Last Post: Anonymous