Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the Romans used aggressive warfare to fight off the Germanic tribes
Well... I still think that you have not replied to my points, one for all having mixed first and second century Wink

Anyway, apart all imperialistic things... (come on Smile ), why do you think that with Germans there was "a war of extermination"?

When? Which period? Who made that and for how long?

I think that, especially after Teutoburgo and Tiberius and Germanicus Campaigns, Roman Legions were mainly concerned with putting in place a forward defence. There were orders not to conquer, just to keep the status quo. About the "why", there were several and valid reasons. Apart geographical difficulties in Germany, Rome had other points to consolidate (not last, the need to reconsider the client kingdoms in Europe, Asia and Africa), before being in condition to consider newly to conquer Germany. If there would had been the will to do it. And, apart this, Germany... up to the Elbe? Today's Poland? or where?

In short, nothing of particulalry aggressive or strange for the period. And I would say nothing that could make one think of an extermination war. And, mainly, against whom? Against populations that could retreat thousands of kilometers?
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why the Romans used aggressive warfare to fight off the Germanic tribes - by CaesarAugustus - 04-16-2020, 10:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arminius and his motivations to fight the Romans Shield And Spear Art 0 1,067 06-18-2019, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Shield And Spear Art
  Germanic Tribes jbd_29349 26 10,172 11-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Treveri Gaul