Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
manipular legions: class or experience based?
You bring up a good point with Sp. Ligustinus. I think another point to make about the variation on legionary class placement based on wealth, Ligustinus had one iugerum of personal land, equal to two acres, which is pretty tiny as farm land goes. And yet he was a regular hastati soldier within a few years of enlisting, thereby able to shine enough in battle to be promoted to centurion.

Also, as a former soldier who served from 18-31, let me say that as a young man I hated to be teamed up with "old men" in their late 20s, gasp their 30s, they were a different mindset, liked different things, couldnt keep up with us energy, and often appeared as patronizing or condescending to us young guys. And later, as an older soldier myself serving among young guys, oh my God did they drive me crazy. Hated it. The immaturity, they're all so damn boring because they haven't done anything cool yet, they're all cocky know it alls who don't know much.  So i think the Roman tradition of grouping men not by kin group but by age was brilliant. 

Further, being that I've abused my body terribly as a soldier over the years, and still being Triari aged, i cant think of a worse torture than to be forced to kneel for long periods. The bum knee would be screaming, foot falling asleep, calf cramps. Screw that. I'd rather stand and lean on my shield and spear, comfy enough you could fall asleep that way.

Messages In This Thread
RE: manipular legion's: class or experience based? - by Bryan - 01-31-2017, 01:52 AM