Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
books/journals on roman military decisions
(01-13-2017, 10:19 AM)Nathan Ross Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 03:45 PM)tikeshe Wrote: books/journals that cover how roman generals and their armies moved from location to location. I've found a lot covering their settlements, how fast they move, but none that cover how they decided where to move.

Sounds like you want Roth's The Logistics of the Roman Army at War (luckily some helpful person's put it online, as it's quite expensive!)

Roth covers most of the surviving sources on army organisation on the march, supply and administration. There are a few useful points (albeit from a much later era) in the Strategikon of Maurikios. Vegetius is very helpful, as the information he uses probably relates to an earlier period than his own, although it's often difficult to determine where he's getting his ideas from!

Thank you! I will definitely check those books out. Hopefully I find something useful!
(01-13-2017, 10:53 AM)Renatus Wrote: You may find something useful in N. J. E. Austin & N. B. Rankov, Exploratio: Military and Political Intelligence in the Roman World, which I regret to say I have not read.

Oh, awesome. Thank you! I will let you all know how I get on.

Messages In This Thread
RE: books/journals on roman military decisions - by tikeshe - 01-13-2017, 11:24 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sibylline Books and military disasters Epictetus 5 1,694 07-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering