Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building musculata
I know there are many thread here about musculatas, I went through them briefly and I think that none of them touches subject Im interesed in.

I find that leather cuirasses or metal one with 6-pax are one of the few most recognizable things about roman reanacting and they are imo one of the biggest plagues.

I also find them made very badly, without any backup in sources, V-shaped with pressed muscules.

Best one I've seen so far in Matt Luke's made in brass. But honestly, you can count well done musculatas on fingers - it's sad.

Right now, I'm making one, fully custom made, made of steel (wanted to make bronze but good luck in finding big bronze plate... I've spent almost 2 months and not a chance... Maybe some day in future...) for a vexiliarus character.

I did some studies, compared survivng smaples of greeks/etruscan with romans sculptures but I still find few things missing and I'm unable to find them, explain them or I just need a bigger view, made by more people than just me.

I'm mostly concern about side view and back plate as I'm unable to find good photos of backs or sculptures, plus we have finds with different solutions and lower part of front plate.

I just made a quick draw to show what's on my mind.

Back:
We have finds with a back plate like a "t-shirt" but we also have finds with a longer plate which bend a bit to cover upper parts of rear.
So the question is, which solution is better and why? How does it look on roman sculptures? Is it better to make back plate like black line or blue line (draw)?

Front:
I'm a bit concern about bottom part of the front. On sculptures it seems like after reaching a squeeze part in waist, bottom part doesn't more forward. It says on the same level as a chest.
On the other hand we can notice on finds that it's not the case. Bottom part often bends forward, even more than a chest line.
I mean, when sitting in such armor which doesn't bend forward I would be a bit afraid about my masculinity Big Grin
But it seems like it's not a problem if it bends a bit forward like on finds and attached picture.
But, again, if lack of bending forward is not a problem, why see this on finds?

I address these question mainy to people who already have made musculatas or own ones and can say something about practical use.
I would also love to see some back photos of sculptures as I'm unable to find ones.

Which solutions are better and why?
How much we can rely on sculptures if we see some differences between them and actual finds?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Damian

Messages In This Thread
Building musculata - by Damianus Albus - 12-05-2016, 03:51 PM
RE: Building musculata - by Dan Howard - 12-05-2016, 10:16 PM
RE: Building musculata - by Damianus Albus - 12-06-2016, 10:14 AM
RE: Building musculata - by ValentinianVictrix - 12-06-2016, 01:40 PM
RE: Building musculata - by Dan Howard - 12-07-2016, 10:48 PM
RE: Building musculata - by Damianus Albus - 12-07-2016, 11:33 PM
RE: Building musculata - by Dan Howard - 12-08-2016, 10:28 AM
RE: Building musculata - by Damianus Albus - 12-08-2016, 10:48 AM
RE: Building musculata - by Flavivs Aetivs - 12-08-2016, 12:37 PM