Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need help w/early Roman formation and Marius.
Here's what I know from reading books mainly Polybius. The early manipuler system consisted of hastati, being the front line. Principes being the 2nd line and triarii being the third. With velites being up front to throw their missiles/projectiles. What I need if someone could explain is some explanation of the group.

I know a century consisted of 60 men that were led by two centurions, the furthest right one being senior. You had the optio in the back to keep formation in line and a signifier which held the banner. Two of the centuries would make a maniple and I believe you had 10 maniples in the front for a total of 20 centuries which would be 660 men?

How were the men placed in the centuries? Was it 10 men side by side, 6 deep?

Does any have a drawing or ms paint that would help me see each individual century, in a maniple, in a cohort, up to a full legion. I'm not completely understanding Polybius and it would be more helpful to see a visual.

Also the Marian reform, how did that all change the lines? Did they keep the centuries?

Thanks!
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." ~Cicero

Messages In This Thread
I need help w/early Roman formation and Marius. - by Aaron - 06-29-2015, 10:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  “Acies quadratum” On the square formation of the Roman army Julian de Vries 12 2,327 09-19-2021, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Hanny
  Roman Army before and after the Marius' Reforms felixgallus 120 31,662 11-21-2017, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Bryan
  Gaius Marius Early Life & Battle Information Lewis Moorhead 5 2,286 05-21-2015, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Bryan