Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet from Bulgaria?
To all,

I recently purchased a copy of Roman army units the eastern provinces....Raffaele D'amato.  On page 46 and on the back cover, he claims that there is a helmet in the private collection of the Archaelogical Museum in Plovdiv

The caption reads that it is a rare helmet.....late 1st C AD.

To me, it looks fake but someone may have other information.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
(09-13-2017, 01:34 PM)Doc Wrote: To me, it looks fake but someone may have other information.

I noticed that one as well - it does look a bit odd...

I'd be interested to see what other information there might be about it!
Nathan Ross
Maybe it was made in India. Cool
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
(09-13-2017, 05:19 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 01:34 PM)Doc Wrote: To me, it looks fake but someone may have other information.

I noticed that one as well - it does look a bit odd...

I'd be interested to see what other information there might be about it!

Maybe its been "restored" at some distant time to make it acceptable for display... would be interesting to see the provenance for it as well...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
I also spotted this hmm. It states its is late 1st AD from the area of Phillippopolis Thracia. The eye brows I may accept as attempt to mimic a Gallic helm but I can see at least 5 rivets possibly holding the neck gaurd on, never seen the edge come to sharp corners on any origonal. Carrying handle is again unknowen style and attachment, and the chin strap ring well it is oblong. I am not convinced. Huh Huh 
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
For some reason I do not get updates of any topics. I checked off the box....

The riveted neck guard is an odd detail but I have seen it before on a bronze helmet and on an Agenport? However, never on a Weisenau.

The eyebrows, appear to be applied and this is something I have never seen.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I'll probably have time to visit the museum in a couple of weeks, I'll try to post photos if possible.
That would be great…...

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Cavalry helmet? From Brestovitza Bulgaria jkaler48 5 1,434 07-27-2013, 05:25 PM
Last Post: jkaler48