Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intaglio from Waddon Hill, Dorset.
Hi all,
 After a recent visit to the museum in Bridport, Dorset, I saw this wonderful Intaglio. <see pic>, from Waddon Hill Roman fort.
 I have never seen anything similar anywhere before. I was wondering if any of you good folks out there may have seen similar?
 Also, could anyone interpret the items and meaning of them on the Intaglio please.
 Thanks in advance,
 Kevin.
Pic does not seem to want to upload....trying again.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Kevin
Wild uneducated guess.
The top beast looks like a winged hippocampus. The right-hand beast might be a dolphin. The lower most figure looks like a ship, even if the sail looks somewhat circular. So it might have been navally themed.

Halstein.
(09-03-2017, 12:19 PM)66kbm Wrote: Hi all,
 After a recent visit to the museum in Bridport, Dorset, I saw this wonderful Intaglio. <see pic>, from Waddon Hill Roman fort.
 I have never seen anything similar anywhere before. I was wondering if any of you good folks out there may have seen similar?
 Also, could anyone interpret the items and meaning of them on the Intaglio please.
 Thanks in advance,
 Kevin.
Pic does not seem to want to upload....trying again.

The strange animal is a Hippocampus or Hippocamp I believe.. I think you'll find in occurs in art mosaics and jewellry quite commonly, look for "Roman Sea Horse" or similar:

Fishbourne Roman Villa
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Thanks Ivor, my own interpretation of that would be a Capricorn, found in LEG II AVG deposits. The ship may be a Trireme Bow, with possible ref to the Navy? The other 2 items......?
Kevin
Kevin
(09-03-2017, 01:14 PM)66kbm Wrote: Thanks Ivor, my own interpretation of that would be a Capricorn, found in LEG II AVG deposits. The ship may be a Trireme Bow, with possible ref to the Navy? The other 2 items......?
Kevin

I think your right Capricorn it is, the other items a fish or possibly a Dolphin and the odd looking item below no idea, but I'd go along with a trireme bow... a globe or wheel?

Legio XXII Primigenia also seem to be associated with the Capricorn...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bath House, Waddon Hill 66kbm 2 1,537 10-09-2015, 05:28 PM
Last Post: 66kbm
  Waddon Hill Dorset 66kbm 11 2,650 04-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Last Post: 66kbm
  Dorchester, Dorset, Fort? II AVG 66kbm 2 1,105 07-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Vindex