Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
earthquake
Woo hoo!<br>
<br>
Earthquakage time!<br>
<br>
5.1 on Mr Richter's Scale... about 55-60 miles SW off the S Diego, California coast ... about 3:30pm PST<br>
<br>
Kaboom! What a slammer! One solid jolt, no perceptible waves or rolling. Felt the shop floor lifted up and then fall down.. hard.<br>
<br>
Lots of new foundation and retaining wall crackage throughout the neighborhood... built in the 30's.... and some teeny sidewalk cracking too.<br>
<br>
The front door does not close as well as it did, but the bathroom door closes much better!<br>
<br>
Eeee- hah! What a ride!<br>
<br>
Hibernicus <p></p><i></i>
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
It was supposedly felt in the LA area too, but I was asleep and didn't feel a thing. They're calling it a 5.2 now, I understand. Been a lot of tremors lately.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
was it a definite earthquake, or perhaps still aftershocks from the 6.6 or so earthquake in northridge jan. 17, 1994. I used to live in Valencia about ten miles north of the epicenter and it was the scariest day of my life. We still felt aftershocks when we left in 1997. Now I live in Chicago where, thank god, where there are no earthquakes. <p>THERE IS NO VICTORY WITHOUT DEFEAT, AND THERE IS NO DEFEAT WITHOUT VICTORY</p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Nil recitas et vis, Mamerce, poeta videri.
Quidquid vis esto, dummodo nil recites!- Martial
It was an earthquake- on an entirely different fault line than the Northridge quake (which I remember not so fondly).<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
yes the northridge one was aweful. Im am just glad to be realitively safe from earthquakes. Do the seismotologist think that this could be the beginning of the big one. <p>THERE IS NO VICTORY WITHOUT DEFEAT, AND THERE IS NO DEFEAT WITHOUT VICTORY</p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Chicago safe from earthquakes?<br>
<br>
Not a chance!<br>
<br>
New Madrid Fault produced one of the largest earthquakes in American History<br>
<br>
GO TO:<br>
hsv.com/genlintr/newmadrd/<br>
<br>
Consider very carefully that buildings, modern buildings, throughout the midwest ARE NOT built to CA earthquake standards.<br>
<br>
A 6.0 in Chicago will kill many more people than a 6.0 in LA.. besides you have tornados, snow, sub-zero temps.... no thanks.... I'll take my balmy year-round average 68°F and 4-10 annual inches of light rain.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Hibernicus<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

I know all about the Madrid fault, thus my reason for saying relatively safe. I am studying geology so I am aware of the threat from that quake, also the way the buildings are constructed to withstand strong winds and tornadoes, whereas an earthquake would destroy most of the buildings because they are not built on a rolling foundation as the buildings in California are, just as important though, the buildings in california would not be able to hold up during a tornadoe anywhere near the midwest, even though a tornadoe is almost impossible due to the lack of the correct weather conditions. <p>THERE IS NO VICTORY WITHOUT DEFEAT, AND THERE IS NO DEFEAT WITHOUT VICTORY</p><i></i>

Only a 4.5 in the MID WEST USA.... gettin' closer!!<br>
<br>
Maximus Minumus <p></p><i></i>
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

When was this and where along the fault line, a city where the epic center was from. <p>THERE IS NO VICTORY WITHOUT DEFEAT, AND THERE IS NO DEFEAT WITHOUT VICTORY</p><i></i>