Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Corinium Museum & Tullie House Museum, Carlisle
Went to see the newly refurbished Corinium museum in Cirencester to-day. www.cotswold.gov.uk/nqcon...t=cotswold Beautiful museum, and worth a trip if you are in the Cotswolds. Reconstructions of a Roman cavalryman, and a Late Roman infantryman, together with Roman houses and shops. Great to finally see the Genealis cavalryman - cavalryman with unusual standard and masked helmet trampling a barbarian (see separate thread). Wonderful mosaics. Great for kids too, with the opportunity for them to try on rivetted mail, tunics, shields etc.<br>
<br>
Also had the opportunity of visiting Carlisle recently. While the new finds display in the castle was diasppointing (many of the finds such as the scale gorget are under conservation), the Tullie House museum opposite is well worth a visit www.tulliehouse.co.uk/index2.htm . A lot of Roman military finds, and several reconstructions- including a Roman saddle that you can sit on and try out. What onlookers made of a 40 year old in a suit sitting on a Roman saddle I hate to think....but do I care?<br>
<br>
Regards<br>
<br>
Paulus <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cearnarforn fort museum faces closure Robert Vermaat 22 4,249 08-16-2023, 07:11 AM
Last Post: Pop Alexandra
  Trimontium Museum John W Davison 4 407 08-05-2021, 09:40 PM
Last Post: John W Davison
  Where is this museum? Eleatic Guest 1 825 12-10-2019, 09:54 AM
Last Post: Crispianus