RomanArmyTalk
Dagger Reconstruction Damascus Museum - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Dagger Reconstruction Damascus Museum (/showthread.php?tid=31274)

Dagger Reconstruction Damascus Museum - brennivs - tony drake - 04-21-2020

I have started a dagger in above museum, it is pictured in Miks book and very different from the morm. Only thing is I cannot find a date for it but best guess late 2nd- 3rd AD.  Huh  At least it still has its scabbard so I can make it.

The blade is best part done, so I will start on the scabbard core next. Any thoughts please post  Smile
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin

RE: Dagger Reconstruction Damascus Museum - brennivs - tony drake - 04-23-2020

Quick post wood core done now the fun bit scabbard plate. A number of hours of work ahead, but I do like making scabbards the bling part of any blade  Wink

RE: Dagger Reconstruction Damascus Museum - Dan D'Silva - 04-23-2020

Curious...  Is it a unique find, or is there a typology of blades like this?

RE: Dagger Reconstruction Damascus Museum - brennivs - tony drake - 04-23-2020

Dan I have not come across this style of dagger,  this is why I choose to make it. I love doing off the wall weapons  Smile   With it being found in Syria it may be a local style weapon with a romanised scabbard. The initial look I thought a repurposed pugio but the back profile does not to me support that. The answer is out there just need to find it  Smile  Back to today have spent a good few hours and have done the fret work but needs a bit more work and ruff fitted to wood core.

Happy with the way it has turned out so far.

RE: Dagger Reconstruction Damascus Museum - brennivs - tony drake - 04-24-2020

Just a little bit more work on plate to do  Smile  , finial done. I can now leather the wood, then and make the hanger.

Regards be  Big Grin

RE: Dagger Reconstruction Damascus Museum - Pointer - 05-04-2020

(04-24-2020, 11:16 AM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: Just a little bit more work on plate to do  Smile  , finial done. I can now leather the wood, then and make the hanger.

Regards be  Big Grin
I would love to see the back side of this Chape.  How you went about the seams, if any.

RE: Dagger Reconstruction Damascus Museum - brennivs - tony drake - 05-05-2020

Ha ha Patrick all will be revealed  Wink  still working on hilt so with the Gods help should be done this week , had a setback crystal cracked along flaw ARRRRR  Angry Angry Angry but I can only try again  Smile

RE: Dagger Reconstruction Damascus Museum - brennivs - tony drake - 05-15-2020

Well all finished  Smile Hilt is bone and crystal from Dura find, scabbard has been silvered.

And the last one for you Patrick  Wink