RomanArmyTalk
New Dictionary of Military Terms - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: New Dictionary of Military Terms (/showthread.php?tid=24363)

Pages: 1 2

New Dictionary of Military Terms - Crispianus - 10-20-2014

Wondering why Halloween was chosen as the release date ;-)

https://www.academia.edu/8851403/Ut_Milites_Dicuntur

New Dictionary of Military Terms - Renatus - 10-20-2014

Can we pre-order it?

New Dictionary of Military Terms - Gunthamund Hasding - 10-21-2014

not through Amazon

Currently Unavailable

Want us to email you when this item becomes available?

New Dictionary of Military Terms - Crispianus - 10-21-2014

You could always Pm the redoubtable M.C.Bishop on this forum :wink:

New Dictionary of Military Terms - richsc - 10-21-2014

I put the word out on Facebook RAT

New Dictionary of Military Terms - richsc - 10-22-2014

Getting into arguments on the translation of the title. The Latinists I asked suggest that "sic milites loquuntur" is better. Any idea what Mike thinks??

New Dictionary of Military Terms - Flavivs Aetivs - 10-22-2014

Thus spake the Milites does sound better IMO.

New Dictionary of Military Terms - Crispianus - 10-22-2014

Oh dear I have put the cat among the pigeons :whistle:

New Dictionary of Military Terms - Renatus - 10-22-2014

Quote:The Latinists I asked suggest that "sic milites loquuntur" is better.

Quote:Thus spake the Milites does sound better IMO.
It depends upon what you're trying to say. 'How the soldiers are spoken of' is perfectly all right, if that is what you want.

New Dictionary of Military Terms - Vindex - 10-22-2014

Oh boy... I think cat and pigeons is going to be the least of this particular thread... :wink:

New Dictionary of Military Terms - mcbishop - 10-23-2014

Well it was amusing that none of you considered that it was a quote.

I am away from home at the moment as my mother was rushed into hospital on Monday and have been staying with her now she's back (I was supposed to be going to the Lyon Roman army conference, so now have a few days spare). I'm afraid the book is the last thing I've been worrying about, not least as my partner had her bank account drained by fraudsters two days later. And I haven't even registered the ISBN for the new Corbridge Hoard book!

Mike Bishop

New Dictionary of Military Terms - richsc - 10-23-2014

I hope your mom is doing better Mike; and what horrible news for your partner. I hope there is some insurance back up from the bank at least.

Actually, over on RAT Facebook someone did mention it seemed to be a quote from the New Testament, but not the Latinists. Embarrassing.

New Dictionary of Military Terms - Crispianus - 10-23-2014

"Well it was amusing that none of you considered that it was a quote."

Not much chance of that here... Latin is all Greek to me :???:
Anyway I'm hoping there's some related references to footwear, could always do with more of those...

Best Wishes for your Mum ;-)

New Dictionary of Military Terms - Mark Graef - 10-24-2014

I am really looking forward to the release Ut Milites Dicuntur, it sounds like it will be an essential reference for military historians and reenactors alike.

I had thought the title might be based on several citations related to military phrases in the grammar of Sextus Pompeius Festus which use dicuntur milites, for example:

"Sub vineam iacere dicuntur milites, cum astantibus centurionibus iacere coguntur sudes."

It also brought to mind several passages I had bookmarked in Vegetius' Epitoma Rei Militaris related to military phrases, jargon, or terminology which use dicuntur or the singular dicitur, such as:

"Vocalia dicuntur quae uoce humana pronuntiantur," (III.5)

"Prima autem et secunda acies, cum ad spathas et ad pila, ut dicitur, uentum fuerit, totum sustinet bellum." (III.14)

". . . admotis liburnis iniectis pontibus in aduersariorum transeunt naues ibique gladiis manu ad manum, ut dicitur, comminus dimicant." (IV.44)

New Dictionary of Military Terms - mcbishop - 01-08-2015

Well, it's finally available (UK US DE), after a long dispute with CreateSpace over the title (who didn't get the whole V=U thing and insisted the title was registered with Vs in it (despite the UK ISBN people being happy with it) ... so it has. Bolshiest bunch of printers I've ever come across ... ;-)

An ebook will follow (with every reference hyperlinked).

Mike Bishop