RomanArmyTalk

Full Version: helmet tie on.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Iv`e just received my galic helmet and it has a ring on the inside of the cheek pieces and an identical ring on the underside of the neck guard. I`m unsure as to how to use the leather tie, as to hold the helmet secure when worn.

Thanks.
Geoff.
Put the leather in the back ring, make sure to have it even, loop each end in one of the front two rings, put on the helmet and tie the ends together under your chin.
Lucius.

Thanks for the advise. The image was a great help too. My helmet, doesn't have your padding though, including for the cheek guards. Mine came with a rather large hat type thing. If I can't make my own padding, is there a way I could obtain it?
I have the Galic F Besancon.

Thanks
Geoff.
I unfortunately do not know any places to buy helmet liners. There is already a thread for hats and liners for the bowl of the helmet. For my cheek pieces on the helmets, one of which is a Gallic F, I usually cut the desired shape out of leather and use leather glue to keep it on the cheek plate. Sometimes I use sheepskin for more comfort and protection.
Quote:I unfortunately do not know any places to buy helmet liners. There is already a thread for hats and liners for the bowl of the helmet. For my cheek pieces on the helmets, one of which is a Gallic F, I usually cut the desired shape out of leather and use leather glue to keep it on the cheek plate. Sometimes I use sheepskin for more comfort and protection.

How well does the padding hold up with sweat and such? How well does the glue work? Is the leather glue you're using similar to any type the Romans possessed?
Bryan, you got me.
I am using historically inaccurate glue for my helmet. So far it works pretty good but I haven't dunked the whole thing in water or anything like that.
Lucius.

Whats the name of the thread for padding etc, in the forum?

Ta, very much, thanks.
Geoff.
It's not completely on just padding but has some stuff on it. It's the one you started.
For the padding the cheekguards use leather or felt or some use sheepskin(IKEA) cut out and glue in place.
good luck
Quote:Put the leather in the back ring, make sure to have it even, loop each end in one of the front two rings, put on the helmet and tie the ends together under your chin.
I am not a re-enactor, so I am open to correction, but this is how I recall H. Russell Robinson explaining the fixing of the helmet. Attach the leather to the ring on the neck-guard as described above, put on the helmet, pass the two halves of the leather along the sides of the neck, cross them under the chin and pass them through the rings of the cheek-pieces on the opposite sides and, finally, tie them together under the chin.
Quote:
Lucius Sallustius Plautus post=368631 Wrote:Put the leather in the back ring, make sure to have it even, loop each end in one of the front two rings, put on the helmet and tie the ends together under your chin.
I am not a re-enactor, so I am open to correction, but this is how I recall H. Russell Robinson explaining the fixing of the helmet. Attach the leather to the ring on the neck-guard as described above, put on the helmet, pass the two halves of the leather along the sides of the neck, cross them under the chin and pass them through the rings of the cheek-pieces on the opposite sides and, finally, tie them together under the chin.

Do you have a pic of this configuration? It sounds like it could lead to some pretty serious chafing on the chin and neck.
I am conscious of the chafing issue. Indeed, I have seen re-enactors, who I believe were using the method that I described, with chafe marks on their necks. However, it is for them to say whether this is a major problem. I think that the method described by Salvatore, with the leathers passing along the neck but being looped through rings on the cheek-pieces on the same side, could also cause chafing but with the helmet less securely fitted on the head.

Russell Robinson's method is influenced by the bust of Phyrrus of Epirus, which has the leathers passing along the neck and then crossed to fasten to studs on the opposite cheek pieces (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pyrrhus.JPG), and is described on p.14 of his Armour of Imperial Rome in relation to Montefortino helmets that also have studs on the cheek pieces, instead of rings.
Quote:I am conscious of the chafing issue. Indeed, I have seen re-enactors, who I believe were using the method that I described, with chafe marks on their necks. However, it is for them to say whether this is a major problem. I think that the method described by Salvatore, with the leathers passing along the neck but being looped through rings on the cheek-pieces on the same side, could also cause chafing but with the helmet less securely fitted on the head.

Russell Robinson's method is influenced by the bust of Phyrrus of Epirus, which has the leathers passing along the neck and then crossed to fasten to studs on the opposite cheek pieces (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pyrrhus.JPG), and is described on p.14 of his Armour of Imperial Rome in relation to Montefortino helmets that also have studs on the cheek pieces, instead of rings.

I'm no expert but so far I have not experienced any major chaffing or discomfort from my method, but I plan to try out this new method and see which I prefer.
I get neck chafing when using that style of ties personally, but my helmet is not proportional to me and a simple focale can fix everything Wink
How long should the leather for the chinstrap be?

Budd
Pages: 1 2