RomanArmyTalk
Photograph yourself for painting - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Photograph yourself for painting (/showthread.php?tid=8292)

Pages: 1 2

Photograph yourself for painting - RUBICON - 02-03-2007

Dear all, as hinted in a previous thread, I am starting a painting depicting a centurions last stand at Teutoburg. I'll upload some rough sketching, of teh main characters. in discussing with Jasper I'm openingup for discussion and the opportunity for anyone who is willing, to photgraphn themselves in the appropriate pose, post them here for us all to discuss and the best option, if given permission, to be the main centrepiece of the painting.
It will adorn my advertising office as it too uses the Rubicon name. I am continuing to improve my roman costume and many thanks to thos ewho offered advice.

Any questions please feel free to mention.

Cheers

Change of direction - RUBICON - 02-04-2007

The painting is now going to be a centurion standing at the side of the rubicon river about to cross it. So if anyone wants to depict themself, I'll be happy to use it for reference, I'll even supply a print of it.

Re: Photograph yourself for painting - Praefectusclassis - 02-04-2007

Hi Stephen,
Have you got some examples of your artwok to show? That always helps get people enthusiastic.

Re: Photograph yourself for painting - Hibernicus - 02-05-2007

How about a photo of a Centurio painiting?

Re: Photograph yourself for painting - Robert Vermaat - 02-05-2007

Quote:How about a photo of a Centurio painiting?

That's a Viking! Big Grin

Re: Photograph yourself for painting - Hibernicus - 02-05-2007

A Viking? Shhhhhhhhh!!!! it's a disguise!!! ......gotta blend in donhca know!

Re: Photograph yourself for painting - Tarbicus - 02-05-2007

snip

Re: Photograph yourself for painting - Praefectusclassis - 02-06-2007

Ok, now get back on track. This should be a great invitation to get yourself recorded for posterity. Big Grin

Re: Photograph yourself for painting - Daniel S Peterson - 02-06-2007

Hey Rubicon,
I actually "played" the "last centurion" in some kind of history channel production a few years back filmed Wales with the British LEG II AUG. I nearly drowned under a rain machine, had my Phalera bashed, and it was the "last stand" of my original feather crest of about 10 years service. You may know this impression from my first little book, and if you wish to use it I could make a specific pose, or poses to assist you at our upcoming event in Lafe next month. If you post me a sketch, perhaps we can reconstruct the whole scene you want to do. Some of the pieces of my kit date later in the 1st century, but could be easily modified in a painting. Good luck with your project!

Re: Photograph yourself for painting - Daniel S Peterson - 02-06-2007

Quote:How about a photo of a Centurio painiting?
Hib, interesting green critters on the Parma. Is that a Ketos/Sea Dragon?
They are seldom seen in Roman reconstructions though a few appear on original Roman military equipment. I have been watching for them in original classical art work since writing my book about the "dragons" of Judao-Christian theology.

sketches - RUBICON - 02-07-2007

My apologies for not replying sooner. I have been away and only just returned. i will post teh initial drawings for all to see. Saty tuned/

Dan Peterson - RUBICON - 02-07-2007

I have your book Daniel and have been looking for it as a few books I have, have some great poses Angus Mc Brides's ompression of the centurion attacking teh german on the front of the book titled Roman Legionary sends chills up my spine when I see it.
If you had a pic I'd much appreciate it.

Finally the draft! - RUBICON - 02-07-2007

This is the painting draft. My business uses Rubicon in its name and I want a huge painting in the foyer as much of the comapny's philosophy is about making that commitment and crossing the rubicon.

So, what I'm trying to achieve is teh thought process of someone (in this case the general0 deciding whether to cross the rubicon with teh loyalty and support of his army.

I also want to depict the strength and enormity of a legion; its closeness to eachother and the support for their general. Obviously our most famous recall is Julius Caesar on the banks of the river, but I wish to portray that anyone can decide to cross teh rubicon if they are permitted.

So, if anyone wants to pose for any of the above positions, from general, centurion even legionary, feel free. At thi sstage I woudl assume no one would want the eagles role so I will understand if no one send in suc a photo of themselves. Chicken suits will not be considered for the position of the standard.

I understand there is an overwhelming need for historical correctness and I will attempt to re create that as closely as possible, but being slightly creative and imaginative I will be adding a few personal touches.

As this is a personal hobby, and not to be sold on for any financial gain, anyone who thinks they will apply for royalties, feel free not to participate. Thankyou so much all.

Re: Photograph yourself for painting - RUBICON - 02-07-2007

Wow that woudl be neat if I get the scene set up!

painting - Graham Sumner - 02-07-2007

Hi Stefano

As a fellow artist I look forward to seeing your final painting. For the crossing of the Rubicon scene I suggest you look at the Peter Connolly painting of the same event printed in 'Warfare in the Ancient World' Edited by General Sir John Hackett (1989) Recent research by Connolly himself has amended a few things such as pila but it does show Legionaries with the earlier type shields, mail armour and montefortino helmets plus a bridge (apparently mentioned by Suetonius) over the river!

Graham.