RomanArmyTalk
Ars Dimicandi about european Reenactment in german news - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Ars Dimicandi about european Reenactment in german news (/showthread.php?tid=7023)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Ars Dimicandi about european Reenactment in german news - Tib. Gabinius - 10-05-2006

This was written in the german reenactors magazin "Karfunkel":

Quote:Ars Dimicandi beklagt:
zu wenig Authenzität

Das italienische Institut Ars Dimicandi, welches im Bereich der Experimentalarchäologie einen außergewöhnlich guten Ruf und Bekanntheitsgrad genießt und mit vielen internationalen Museen, Veranstaltern, Forschungseinrichtungen und dergleichen zusammenarbeitet, beklagt, daß in zunehmenden Maße die Darstellung des römischen Lebens und der Römer bei Römerfesten in Europa immer mehr zu wünschen übrig lassen.
Einerseits mangelt es an Authenzität, da da die Darstellungen immer weniger auf wissenschaftlichen Fakten basieren würden, andererseits scheint aber schon vielen Darstellern ein profundes, korrektes Wissen über die damalige Lebensweise, Kleidung und andere historische Fakten zu fehlen. So habenReenactmentdarstellungen des römischen Lebensalltages, Militärübungen und ähnliches oft leider nur noch sehr wenig mit der antiken Realität zu tun. Dadurch können sich Geschichtsdarsteller natürlich nicht mehr auf den didaktischen Nutzen ihrer Veranstaltungen berufen.

I tried to translate:

Quote:Ars Dimicandi complains: too few authencity The italian Institut of ars Dimicandi, which enjoys an unusually good reputation and fame within the range of the experimental archaeology and with many international museums, organizers, research establishments and such a thing it co-operates deplores that increasingly with Roman celebrations in Europe ever more leave the representation of the Roman life and the Romans remaining to wish. On the one hand it lacks authencity, since the representations would be based there less and less on scientific facts, on the other hand one however already seems to many actors per find, correct knowledge over the way of life at that time to be missing to clothes and other historical facts. Thus habenReenactmentdarstellungen the Roman life all daily to do military exercises and similar often unfortunately only very few with the antique reality. Thus historical actors cannot naturally appoint themselves no more to the didactical use of their meetings.

Re: Ars Dimicandi about european Reenactment in german news - Tarbicus - 10-05-2006

Quote:
Quote:Ars Dimicandi complains: too few authencity .... On the one hand it lacks authencity, since the representations would be based there less and less on scientific facts .... Thus historical actors cannot naturally appoint themselves no more to the didactical use of their meetings.

Hmm, Ars Dimicandi on leather segs: Article in Ars Dimicandi newsletter
Just to remind everyone.

One finger pointed at someone else = three fingers pointed back at yourself.

Re: Ars Dimicandi about european Reenactment in german news - Ebusitanus - 10-06-2006

Ars has some guts to be throwing such stones in such a glass house.
The fact alone that they are not even here posting is quite telling. They really believe international reenactment turns around them? How do they suppose they help in correcting these mistakes other groups make when they do not leave their only Italian forum?

Re: Ars Dimicandi about european Reenactment in german news - Magnus - 10-06-2006

I can't believe they're relying totally on sculptural evidence to back up their claims of leather combo seggies.

Personally, I don't think we need to pay any attention to them, nor give them any notoriety via the web, be it positive or negative.

Re: Ars Dimicandi about european Reenactment in german news - Susanna - 10-06-2006

Because of that I know other expressions by them and raed mostly of their website, saw them on several events s.o., I really doubt they have the authority to say such things.
I have more and more the impression that a lot of poeple try to legalize their own mistakes by poiting their fingers on others. That is the modern way to be accepted by the yellow press: dirty press!
If you say that something is not right, you should get into a discussion...

But also it is a shame that it seems that there is no union of other groups to put things in right light.
There should be a "quality sign" or something!?

Re: Ars Dimicandi about european Reenactment in german news - Robert Vermaat - 10-06-2006

AD sounds to me like a mother complaining to the teacher that all the kids are dancing out of step except her own kid. :twisted:

Re: Ars Dimicandi about european Reenactment in german news - Luca - 10-09-2006

Oh boy! Confusedhock:
I noticed this post only today.....
I'm italian, so I cannot give my opinion "public". Sorry.

Re: Ars Dimicandi about european Reenactment in german news - Tib. Gabinius - 10-09-2006

I dont understand what your nationality play for a role for your opinion.

For me its a slap for all roman reenactors. Its always good to bring construcitve critic, but that way it wasnt critic, it was a slap and a try to position themselves.

Re: Ars Dimicandi about european Reenactment in german news - mcbishop - 10-09-2006

Quote:Hmm, Ars Dimicandi on leather segs: Article in Ars Dimicandi newsletter
Just to remind everyone.

One finger pointed at someone else = three fingers pointed back at yourself.

Not only have they got half-baked ideas about leather segmentata, they've ripped off my Alba Iulia drawing (unattributed; how many times do I have to tell people you only have to do me the courtesy of asking?)! With that sort of attitude towards fellow students of the past, I would view a criticism from these guys as a compliment, were I a re-enactor (which I'm not).

Mike Bishop

Re: Ars Dimicandi about european Reenactment in german news - caiusbeerquitius - 10-09-2006

Quote:they've ripped off my Alba Iulia drawing
Maybe you should send them a bill for usong it? :twisted: Big Grin

Re: Ars Dimicandi about european Reenactment in german news - Luca - 10-10-2006

Quote:I dont understand what your nationality play for a role for your opinion.

You are right, it is a historical polemic problem we have in Italy between some of us, me included.
As example on the Ars Dimicandi Forum, but also on other forums I'm described as one of the most agressive enemies of Ars Dimicandi. I don't consider me an "enemy" of AD and from the personal point of view I had good relationship with most of them, but others in Italy flamed them on some forums. These troubles originated some little problems with me during one of the latest meetings.
As we say in italian it is just a way to "live-in-peace", even if I very often (not to say pretty always) disagree with their theories and their way to "research".

About the Mike Bishop drawing, I agree, as usual no quotes, no credits... uuuh Internet!

Re: Ars Dimicandi about european Reenactment in german news - Tarbicus - 10-10-2006

Quote:As example on the Ars Dimicandi Forum, but also on other forums I'm described as one of the most agressive enemies of Ars Dimicandi.
Confusedhock: :lol: Says a lot IMHO. Sorry Luca, but I can't imagine you being anyone's enemy!

Re: Ars Dimicandi about european Reenactment in german news - Conal - 10-10-2006

They are not all bad .... they have done some good stuff on boxing sharp thongs Smile

Its a shame that, having the guts to post an opinion on leather segs on line, that they have to publicly flame others because they have been flamed ... if my reading of the situation is right ?

Re: Ars Dimicandi about european Reenactment in german news - John M McDermott - 10-10-2006

I have never understood the obsession with leather armor. It just doesn't work.

Re: Ars Dimicandi about european Reenactment in german news - Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs - 10-10-2006

I must say that while I was thoroughly impressed with their prowess and
dedication to their art, I have lost a great deal of respect for them as a whole due to the statements. Whether they realize it or not,they too, are
re-enactors!