RomanArmyTalk
New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org (/showthread.php?tid=6783)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 03-26-2007

And here is a link to a splendid article on the Christian mosaics of Rome in the first nine centuries.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 03-30-2007

Bill has put online the text of an article on the portrait of Drusus the Younger on the Ara Pacis, go here.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 03-31-2007

An article on the Pantheon in Rome, with many photos. I want to go back to that big planetarium!

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 04-01-2007

Bill has put online Plutarch's Life of Timoleon.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 04-01-2007

Not terribly interesting for RATs: three cuneiform texts on the Jewish Exile in Babylonia.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 04-07-2007

Bill has put online an article from the Classical Journal on ancient military writers, which I found quite interesting.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 04-08-2007

Two additions in the Easter weekend: photos of Huy, where Caesar defeated the Atuatuci in 57 BCE, and an article that has nothing to do with ancient history but which some of you may like - Claude Monet in Amsterdam.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 04-10-2007

Bill has put online Plutarch's Life of Artaxerxes, which he finds "disjointed, anecdotic, confused, prurient" and which I find, Plutarch always being a Greek in the first place, unusually kind towards "the barbarian". In other words, it is too bad and to philobarbarous to be a real treatise by Plutarch. :wink: Still, I find it an interesting text, and this will certainly get a follow-up.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Bill Thayer - 04-10-2007

And a few hours later, some real Plutarch, The Life of Dion (the tyrant of Syracuse).

B.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 04-19-2007

This is nice: Bill put online Plutarch'sLife of Aratus.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Bill Thayer - 04-19-2007

And this is probably even nicer for Sminthophiles: Sallust's Jugurthine War just added, in Latin and English. (It runs 125 pages, so I put it in 3 chunks: access it from my Sallust orientation page).

Not new to the Web, mind you, since English is available at Gutenberg and Latin at Latin Library, and something at Perseus (they're back up as of today, by the way); but it only took about four or five days and

(a) this is a different, more modern edition,
(b) the text and the translation are cross-linked;
©Â it has its full complement, as usual on my site, of local links down to the section level; and finally
(d) it includes the Loeb edition critical notes and explanatory footnotes, such as they are.

Baseball is only mentioned once.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Praefectusclassis - 04-20-2007

Excellent! Thanks Bill

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 04-20-2007

And Bill put online an article on The Lupercalia in the Fifth Century AD. Conclusion: "The evidence shows that it was a performance of the superstitious Christian mob, which thought of it as a purificatory rite by which evils might be averted from the state".

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 04-23-2007

I always thought that "graft" had something to do with bribes and corruption, until Bill put online these "Notes on Ancient Grafting" in his Antiquary's Shoebox. Now I know it also has something to do with horticulture, and this article has proved its value.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 04-24-2007

Bill continues to put texts by Plutarch online: here is the Theseus. He used to have only Roman lives, he has now decided to continue with more Greek lives. From the comparisons, which Plutarch thought were the most important parts (but are usually ignored by modern editions): Theseus and Romulus, Dion and Brutus, and Timoleon and Aemilius.