RomanArmyTalk
New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org (/showthread.php?tid=6783)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 01-28-2007

My server problems being over, I pick up my activities again. Here is a text from ancient Babylonia that antedates the Cyrus Cylinder with only a couple of years: the Nabonidus Cylinder. There are many similarities between the two texts: angry gods who have left their shrines return after a pious king comes to power, the pious ruler restores the temples and increases the daily offering. It is interesting to note that Cyrus is presented as one elected by the gods; it confirms Cyrus' own propaganda, and Isaiah's claim that JHVH had chosen Cyrus.

Meanwhile, Bill continues to build pages on Umbrian churches.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 01-29-2007

Again some stuff from Libya: the Villa Selene. Difficult light to make photos, but I hope you can see that it is a nice monument.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Dan Diffendale - 01-29-2007

Nice page on the Villa Selene, Jona! Two things, though -- "dolphins" not "delphins," "apse" not "abse."

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 01-29-2007

Quote: "dolphins" not "delphins," "apse" not "abse."
Laudes for this! For this kind of suggestions (and other comments), I put on this page. Thanks!

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 02-18-2007

I have put online an English translation of the Res Gestae Divi Augusti.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Robert Vermaat - 02-25-2007

Good for you, thanks!

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 02-25-2007

I've put on-line an article on the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World (actually fourteen). Bill is preparing a trip to Umbria and continues to put on-line photos of churches in Umbria, which may be off-topic for us RATs, but are still recommended.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 03-11-2007

A new page on Egypt's 26th (Saite) dynasty, with links to fact sheets on the kings of that house, so well-known from Herodotus.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 03-11-2007

And a piece on the interpretation of the battle of Thermopylae, not only dealing with 300, but also with Tom Holland's book Persian Fire, and -especially- the defects of ancient history.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - sulla felix - 03-12-2007

Quote:"Thermopylae" is rapidly becoming political propaganda. And that is to be regretted, because novels, comic books, and movies are -more than scholarly research, which reaches not many people- the way people conceptualize the past.

Jona, I think that this is a grand sweeping statement that you fail to support in any way whatsoever. Frankly I am insulted that you feel that people conceptualize the past by reference to novels, comics and movies.

I also think you do a great dis-service to Tom Holland's "Persian Fire", which at the very least attempts to present a balanced view of the very impressive ancient Persian culture.

300 is just a movie adapted from a comic book - get over it!

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Robert Vermaat - 03-12-2007

People, open a new thread (in OT if you must), but please do not continue the discussion here.

Sorry, but I am not sure why this should be O/T. The link purports to be a review of Tom Holland's "Persian Fire" (which it is not), Frank Miller's 300, and "300" the movie. I respond to comments in the review.

O/T - why?

Barry, I did not say that it was OT, but I urged you and anyone else to continue the disussion elsewhere. This thread is about additions to two websites. We have already several threads in several sections that comment on several aspects of this movie (including in OT). No need to turn this one into another.

Robert - OK understood. Please accept my apologies :oops:

No problem Big Grin