RomanArmyTalk
New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org (/showthread.php?tid=6783)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 08-30-2007

Bil had put online the full text of Rutilius Namatianus, "The voyage home", which is one of the very latest examples of pagan poetry. It is also remarkable for what it tells not: as it is written in 418, one would expect descriptions of the devastations of the Gothic raid in Italy - but they are absent.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 08-31-2007

Bill added Andromeda to Allen's Star Names.

Also available: Book 29 of Ammianus Marcellinus. Conspiracy of Theodorus, who is put to death; other conspiracies and cases of black magic, and excuses for Valentinian to exercise his cruelty. An abortive campaign against the Alamanni. Theodosius defeats Firmus and pacifies Africa. The Quadi and the Sarmatians lay waste Pannonia.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 08-31-2007

Bill added Book 30 to his web edition of Ammianus Marcellinus. Rome and Armenia struggle again over the border state of Armenia. After all those campaigns against the Alamanni, Valentinian makes peace with them; both sides keep the agreement. A long digression on trial lawyers: Ammian's caricature of them is still good. Valentinian dies suddenly while campaigning in Illyricum; an assessment of him. His 4‑year‑old son is made co‑emperor as Valentinian II.

He also put Antinoüs (now no longer recognized as an independent constellation) and Antlia (Air Pump) online as part of his edition of Allen's Star Names.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 09-04-2007

A little article about Roman garlands is Bill's latest attribution.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Bill Thayer - 09-24-2007

Jona's been out of town, should be coming back today; so no new stuff from him. On the other hand I've been nowhere, so here's the new stuff on Lacus since the garlands mentioned in his last posting — or at least the stuff most relevant to this board, since I've put up about 150 pages in this time: many of them a long laundry list of ancient Greek religious festivals.

Ammian, Book 31 (English): covering the battle of Adrianople. Ammian is now complete onsite; but the Latin, which you might remember I rescued from elsewhere, needs to be corrected (passages in Greek for example are gobbledygook onscreen) and annotated, then the Latin and English cross-linked before we can consider Ammian finished-finished.

"Caesar's Camp on the Aisne": an item from the Classical Journal (1941) available to those with access to JSTOR but not to the rest of us until now on my site; a sort of cat-scan section of the endless debate on the siting of the camp and battle mentioned by Caesar in B.G. II.8. Such articles are unsatisfying unless a group of them are put up, and I'm scouring around for others; but there's a map and I was also able to pinpoint the place on a satellite-view GoogleMap, in which despite the massive dislocations in the two 20c wars (each of which saw battles in the immediate area) one can still make out traces of ancient structures.

The Cynegetica of Nemesianus: one more Cynegeticon to join Grattian's already onsite. I intend eventually to put up at least Oppian's, and maybe Xenophon's. (Cynegetica are books on hunting and the breeding and care of Dogs and horses.)

The Eucharisticon of Paulinus of Pella. This obscure work is of great interest to students of Late Antiquity, since it's an autobiography describing in a fairly straightforward manner 80 years of life in the 4th and 5th centuries, mostly in Gaul, with all its dislocations (including a section on the siege of Bazas). It is made the more interesting, to me at least, by being the life of a very average man. Although the aim of the poem is Christian, to see in such a life the operation of the grace of God and give thanks for it, the religious component doesn't get in the way of telling his story. A recommended read; and very interesting to compare with the Letters of Synesius on Jona's site, even if Synesius was a much more intelligent man.

Of less interest, maybe, continuing to catch up on Strabo (Books 8-9) (in English). For a long time I had those Books only that Perseus did not, my idea being to ensure that all of him was online somewhere. But it's really better to have one-stop shopping, so I intend to have a complete Strabo of my own, even if the urgency is not there.

Finally, not Roman at all, but of military interest, Voci della Memoria, a very good and moving little book, in Italian, commemorating the lives of 70 people lost to a stray British bomb in a small town in central Italy in 1944. I lived in Umbertide for three months, less than 100 meters from the place where the bomb fell, so this was a must on my site: where it appears by special permission of the Town Government who owns the copyright.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - D B Campbell - 09-24-2007

Quote:"Caesar's Camp on the Aisne": an item from the Classical Journal (1941) available to those with access to JSTOR but not to the rest of us until now on my site ...
Thanks for (amongst many interesting tidbits) the link to an on-line version of Rice Holmes Commentaries on Caesar's Bellum Gallicum (Books 1-3, anyway), which I hadn't previously seen.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 09-24-2007

Quote:Jona's been out of town, should be coming back today; so no new stuff from him.
Hihi: have a look at this - the battlefield of Zela (second photo), and the place where Xenophon could see the sea for the first time (thalassa! thalassa!) - unfortunately, we saw a lot of clouds. :wink:

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 09-27-2007

Here is Synesius' essay On an Astrolabe.

Meanwhile, Bill has put online articles on two constellations related to the cult of Mithras, and represented on that famous bull-killing relief: Corvus and Crater.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 09-28-2007

The first photo's from my trip to Turkey are from the Battlefield of Zela. Not very special, but as far as I know, there were no photos available on the web until now.

And our man in Chicago adds two constellations related to the cult of the soldiers' god Mithras: Canis Minor and Hydra.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 09-29-2007

At last: photos from the Roman legionary base at Satala!

And Bill made available an article on the Wife of Gaius Gracchus and her Dowry in the Antiquaries' Shoebox.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 09-30-2007

I already announced Zela, and would not repeat it if our Robert Vermaat had not improved the three panoramic photos, so click here to see it again, more beautiful than it was before. I can not see the boundaries of the original three photos. Big Grin

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Bill Thayer - 10-01-2007

That's very fine work indeed! I can just barely barely make out one boundary, but the other not at all. A viewer who didn't know could certainly never tell. Robert, if I ever need one, you're hired....

T. Rice Holmes - Paullus Scipio - 10-01-2007

Thank you very much for the link to T.Rice Holmes commentaries on Caesar - never been surpassed, and T. Rice Holmes was the absolute 'Guru' on all things Caesarean ! 8)

A most valuable piece of Data indeed - I urge all students of Caesar's works to read it !! Smile D

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Robert Vermaat - 10-01-2007

Quote:That's very fine work indeed! I can just barely barely make out one boundary, but the other not at all. A viewer who didn't know could certainly never tell. Robert, if I ever need one, you're hired....

:oops:

Like I told Jona, this one was not very difficult. The surface masks a lot, and the clouds were nearly identical at the border. The most difficult thing in pictures like these are the more pronounced lines, and the distortion that is bound to occur due to modern (wide-angle) lenses. The position of the photographer also plays a part, they will most of the time shift their position in relation to the horizon.

There IS one line in the landscape that I could not match up with reality, can you spot it? :wink:

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Bill Thayer - 10-08-2007

(And no, I couldn't, puzzled over it for a while!)

After a few lazy days, I've just put up a collection of stuff on Portus Itius, Caesar's port of departure on his second expedition to Britain: a summary article from the Encyclopedia Britannica, and eight journal articles debating the identification of the place with Boulogne or Wissant. The start of the exchange was Holmes's Ancient Britain and the Invasions of Julius Caesar and Haverfield's critique in 1909; then the two have at it.

(In scouring the Web as part of the little project, I noticed that Wickedpedia bless 'em had cribbed the same Britannica article, eviscerated it, and made the topographical problem vanish.... I ought to hire them to do my finances. I also noticed that the only identification of Itius Portus made on this board, as far as I could tell, was with Wissant rather than the older favorite Boulogne. FWIW, I too side with Wissant.)

Finally, for them that have an interest in pregnant cows, the slaughter of them and the burning of their unborn calves, but don't read French: the articlet Fordicidia from Daremberg/Saglio, in my own English translation.