RomanArmyTalk
New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org (/showthread.php?tid=6783)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 06-20-2007

The city of Apollonia.

Ammianus' Book 17; and in the Shoebox a piece on The Fire of Rome in 64 and conflagrations in general.

Ammianus' Book 18.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 06-22-2007

Bill is working hard: a translation of Ammianus' Book 19 (the siege of Amida!) is now available as well; to the Shoebox, he has added a useful piece on The Origin of the Province of Commagene; and to Allen's Catalog of Star Names, Bill added Auriga.

Compared to all this, my own contribution is modest: Synesius' Letter 73, in which he begs for military reinforcements and a capable governor to defend the Cyrenaica against nomadic tribes.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 06-23-2007

Another letter by Synesius: Letter 61, a quite interesting one. Synesius had been forced to leave Constantinople during an earthquake, and had been unable to give a present to a friend. Now, he sends the present to an intermediary, asking his help to make sure that the friend receives his present.

The text is related to Synesius' Egyptian Tale, which I will put online tomorrow, and which contains an eyewitness account of street fights that can -because of Letter 61- be dated to 400. They are described by Bury; the relevant section from his History of the Late Roman Empire is here.

To the Shoebox, Bill has added a note on Roman funeral practices (bustum).

Voilà, a complete text from Antiquity, not available online yet: Synesius' Egyptian Tale, or, On Providence.

Actually it is strange that I am the first one to prepare an online edition, because the Egyptian Tale is a nice text. It creatively recycles the myth of Osiris and Seth (called Typho by the Greeks) to describe the courts struggles in Constantinople during the reign of Arcadius - in 400, to be more precise. The noble "Osiris" (= the praetorian prefect Aurelian) becomes ruler in "Egypt" (= the eastern half of the Roman Empire), but loses power in "Thebes" (=Constantinople) to "Typho" (Caesarius or Eutychianus), who use the "Scythians" (=the Germanic troops commanded by Gaitas).

The Scythians are uncomfortable in the city and decide to build their camp outside the walls. That they bring their wives and possessions out of town, is explained as a prelude to the sack of the city; a revolt begins, which is the beginning of the end for Typho, and the prelude to Osiris' glorious return.

The description of the insurrection and the chaos during the street fights is very lively, but the text is also interesting as a jeu d' ésprit by an entertaining writer. Personally, I did not like the philosophical prologue and afterthoughts, and the philosophical speech by Osiris' father. Still, the text is nice.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Robert Vermaat - 06-23-2007

Quote:the Germanic troops commanded by Gaitas.
Gainas, probably?

You're right. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. :oops:

It's not the only remarkable typo I encountered today... in Ancient Warfare, I spotted an article on Tacacitus' Agricola - which is embarrassing, as I am the author of that piece, and ought to have seen the mistake when Jasper sent me the proof. :oops:

Anyhow, even with two errors on one day, I am not half as stupid as the author of the article on "Athletics" in the second edition of the OCD, in which a German book on Leibesübungen has been changed into a book on Liebesübungen! :wink: (Actually, an improvement.)

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Praefectusclassis - 06-23-2007

I feel doofy for that error too Jona...And we're not even the only ones not to spot. Two more people proofread the articles and none of us noticed it. Oh well, that'll teach me that next time all headers get double checked!
This however, does not detract from the quality of the article. That needs to be noted as well.

Proofreading is hell. I have edited two journals and nine books, and I have only once met someone who could do it: the girlfriend of my friend Marco - known to some of you, because he was in Augsburg. Unfortunately, Marlous' is better in Dutch than in English.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Bill Thayer - 06-24-2007

There's only one thing worse than proofreading, and that's indexing. I once indexed a schoolbook on American history; it was in the late 1970s well before the full use of computers, and it was horrible: I've never been able to use an index card since.

Three items today on Tentacle-Baby, curiously related:
  • "Nero Fiddled While Rome Burned"
    Allen's Star Names: Lyra
    Fidicula from Daremberg & Saglio's Dictionnaire des Antiquités grecques et romaines (one of the links in that article that I was unable to pop in, by the way, was Letter 148 of Synesius)
The Daremberg & Saglio item is in English (my own translation); otherwise, since the entire Dictionary is online courtesy of the Université de Toulouse Le Mirail, it would be pointless. Not everyone reads French, however; since D&S is far better than Smith's Dictionary, I'll be translating an article from it from time to time. No, I'm not about to sit down and translate all 10 volumes.

The Osiris-Typhon myth was a canvas for all kinds of things in Late Antiquity; among them, the legend of St. George, in the ground-breaking if a bit breathless and, well, French paper by Clermont-Ganneau, Horus et Saint Georges d'après un bas-relief inédit du Louvre.

Finally, unrelated to anything, but brand new online yesterday and a useful text for some: my partner James (who hosts my site one level down from his) is starting to put up Aelian's Varia Historia; which is online, partially, at Augustana — but in Greek. So, the English translation of the Varia Historia by Stanley; index page is just a placeholder, but Books 1-3 are complete, or at least as complete as Stanley published them: 17th century, so bowdlerized in spots.

Bill

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 06-25-2007

An article on princess Honoria (nice!) and a bit of Ammianus, Book 20.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 06-27-2007

Two pieces in the dictionaries Bill puts online: milestone and vitula, plus the next installment of Ammianus, Book 21.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 06-28-2007

This will keep me occupied for some time: the History of the Roman Empire by Herodian. It tells the story of the reign of Commodus, the Year of the Five Emperors, the age of the Severan dynasty, and the Year of the Six Emperors - in other words, from 180 to 238.

The full text is already available, but only Book One looks acceptable, with hyperlinks and footnotes, and after proofreading. The story you're all looking for is here.