RomanArmyTalk
New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org (/showthread.php?tid=6783)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 06-04-2007

Today, only some additions: to the article on the limes castle on the Feldberg (near the Saalburg), and to the series of pages on Lepcis Magna: the Plaza and the Colonnaded Street. To be honest, the Feldberg is the only interesting item, the plaza and the street are only there for completeness' sake. And that's it for today folks.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Bill Thayer - 06-05-2007

More desk-cleaning, the most interesting item first: B.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 06-06-2007

Maybe a larger page on a bigger subject would have been more fitting as my number 2900 page, but on the other hand: even though the photos aren't perfect, the mosaic from the Villa Orpheus is worth a look.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Robert Vermaat - 06-06-2007

Quote:my number 2900 page
[size=200:1v4w1mhf]WOW!!!! [/size]Confusedhock:

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Bill Thayer - 06-07-2007

OK, three D's and an A: Delphinia, Demetria, Dictynnia, Aeaceia (non semper tendit. . . .).

B

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 06-09-2007

... the Constellation of Virgo ...

The Zodiac signs were the symbols of several military units:

LEO
IIII Flavia, XIII Gemina, XVI Gallica

SCORPIO
Praetorian Cohorts

SAGITTARIUS
II Parthica

CAPRICORN
I Adiutrix, II Augusta, IIII Macedonica, XIIII Gemina, XXII Primigenia, XXX Ulpia

PISCES
XI Claudia, XXX Ulpia

ARIES
I Minervia

TAURUS
I Italica?, III Gallica, IIII Macedonica, V Macedonica, VI Victrix, VII Claudia, VIII Augusta, X Fretensis, X Gemina, XXII Primigenia?

GEMINI
II Italica, VI Ferrata

Non-Zodiac Constellations:

PEGASUS
II Adiutrix, II Augusta

HERCULES
II Augusta

AQUILA
V Macedonica, XIIII Gemina

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Bill Thayer - 06-09-2007

Source?

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - D B Campbell - 06-09-2007

Quote:CAPRICORN
I Adiutrix, II Augusta, IIII Macedonica, XIIII Gemina, XXII Primigenia, XXX Ulpia

IIII Scythica and XXI Rapax also use the Capricorn symbol on existing sculpture. (e.g. Keppie, Making of the Roman Army, pl. 14a.)

(btw Didn't I Minervia use the bull emblem?)

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 06-09-2007

Quote:Source?
Ritterling - that is to say, the article "Legio" in the Realenzyklopädie, which RomanArmy will one day have translated into English (more...). Which reminds me of the fact that I have promised to translate three of those articles, and that the one I sent to Jasper - what's happened to it?!

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 06-11-2007

Continuing my series on Lepcis Magna, here are the Theater and the splendid mosaics of the Villa Nile.

There is one inscription that I found difficult to translate; your advice will -as always- be appreciated.

Meanwhile, Bill has put online everything you wanted to know about The Use of Devices for Indicating Vowel Length in Latin (but were afraid to ask).

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Bill Thayer - 06-11-2007

The vowel business, much of which concerns the apices on the Monumentum Ancyranum, (and a second related one by the same author, transcription in prep) is called by a note to Ammian Book 15, also in prep; not quite as disparate then as it looks. Rolfe was also Loeb's translator of the Res Gestae on my site, which I transcribed a coupla years back with every one of its horrid little nonsensical apices. I mention all this in part because I haven't yet linked the article to the Res Gestae passages; in part for any Augustophiles out there; and finally, to provide myself with an "excuse", lest I be thought to entertain any fondness for these obscure literary minutiae....

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 06-13-2007

Quote:and a second related one by the same author, transcription in prep
... which is called "Marks of Quantity in the Monumentum Antiochenum", and -I agree- a set of obscure minutiae.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 06-15-2007

I put online an article on Taucheira, a Greek city in the Cyrenaica that was especially important in the Byzantine age. As it is mentioned in one of the letters of Synesius, I put that epistle online as well. The venerable bishop shows his darkest side: full of contempt, he writes about a man with very, very bad ancestors - a prostitute about eight centuries ago. Finally, the Palaestra of Lepcis Magna is also online, mainly for completeness' sake, because it is utterly uninteresting.

Bill has put online Plutarch's Sayings of Spartan Men and the Sayings of Spartan Women. Plutarch used these two collections when he was composing his biographies, and hardly bothers to offer context. After all, they were just an aid for when he was writing. Because he does not mention his sources, we may have some reservations about the quality of these collections.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 06-16-2007

Here is the translation of Book 15 of Ammianus' Histories. Book 14, Book 23, and Book 24 were already availiable, and so it the Latin text.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Bill Thayer - 06-18-2007

Ammian, continued: Book 16, which will likely find favor on this board since it deals with wars along the German limes; and the very useful Index of Officials.

Books 15 and 16 are already online elsewhere, mind you — though none of the others are — so that it seemed at first to be wasted effort. But in preparing my own transcription, saving some time by starting from the one at MIT and/or its cribs around the Web, I quickly realized that they'd (a) kissed off the notes; (b) stripped out the page numbers; ©Â failed to insert local links.
   In addition, it had to be very carefully proofread, both for the occasional mistake of its own: Augst for example was referred to as Angst at one point; and a few lines later,
      "they would have driven back"
turned out in fact to be
      "they would have sacked and burned the town, had they not been driven back" (line skipped); and the occasional mistake in the print edition: Loeb not known for its proofreading. . . .
   So finally it wasn't quite as much a waste of time as that.

Still remain to be popped in: the cross-links between the Latin and the English; and of course, a number of links to as yet un-entered Books don't work. Since I'm committed to doing all of it, it was simpler and faster to pop in the links, and let them become valid as the remaining Books go onsite.

BT