RomanArmyTalk
Festival registration - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Events (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Thread: Festival registration (/showthread.php?tid=5136)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Festival registration - Anonymous - 03-20-2006

I, too have had Website problems - all the damned guestbook entries (and even the saved ones Smile ) disappeared when Webspawner did their Spring cleaning. Could you all P-LEASE re-register? I will make a hard copy. I need to have a list of all participants for insurance and safety purposes, as well as to help me cope with the logistics. Please give the names of all in your party, if you represent a group, or else get your mates to register individually.

This is a good time to ask you all also to notify me if you intend to compete in any of the Athletic contests, as these will need to be organised.
The question of whether you are up for drill and/or combat also needs to be answered.

I have managed to arrange accommodation for a number of people with high costs to cover/ long distances to come/ no money but I won't do this for anybody else, unless they ASK me. If you don't ask, I will assume you are Croesus and let you book your own! If you want to camp, I need to know.

Finally, if you've never actually said you are going to be there, or if you've only said you'll TRY or you're thinking about it or you have to ask your Mum please let me know, definitively, asap.

These rantings are ended.

Re: Festival registration - Susanne - 03-20-2006

I have already posted in there, but forgot to mention that I'm interested in participating in the javelin hurling. Smile

I would also LOVE to do some phalanx drill!

Re: Festival registration - hoplite14gr - 03-21-2006

Drill. combat, hoplitodromy....chariot.
You name it.
Kind regards
S

Re: Festival registration - Susanne - 03-21-2006

As in Seleucid Scythed Chariots? Smile
(As you may notice, I have been playing too much Rome: Total War.)

Well more of Patroklos chariot charge in ILIAD but now that you mentioned it....hmmmm
Regards
S

Re: Festival registration - Susanne - 03-21-2006

Quote:Patroklos chariot charge
Now that'd be a cool thing to include in the schedule!

Cordially,

Re: Festival registration - Anonymous - 03-21-2006

Quote:I have already posted in there, but forgot to mention that I'm interested in participating in the javelin hurling. Smile

I would also LOVE to do some phalanx drill!

When are you going to learn your place, girlie?

Soon after I assign you one, I hope!

Quote:As in Seleucid Scythed Chariots? Smile
(As you may notice, I have been playing too much Rome: Total War.)

Scythed chariots? Confusedhock: Are you MAD?! Confusedhock: I haven't spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off! Go and play Boudicca with the Romans!

If the chariot ever arrives all you nutters will have to be on your BEST behaviour before I let any of you anywhere NEAR it. If you want to play Wacky Races, provide your own vehicle! Big Grin

No my interest is scientific.
We have a disagreement in the Bronze age forum if the chariot charge was possible. All I need is our brave charioteer to drive while I will attempt ot skewer targerts with a spear and use sword against them.
I want ot prove that the charge was possible.
Not medieval knight charge but aggressive pushing of the enemy.
Scythic or beotian shiled are also needed.
The weapons need not be battle ready.
Hope you will allow me to do that.
Kind regards

Re: Festival registration - Arthes - 03-21-2006

Quote:I would also LOVE to do some phalanx drill!
So would I - but can't afford the panoply......unless I can borrow some from somewhere...?
No combat for me nowadays...unfortunately...
Pity they didn't have plumbata throwing.....I like throwing plumbatae..... :lol:
my thrown javelins either bounce off shields and score a direct hit on attacking Commanding Officers :roll: or more often travel sideways and totally miss :oops: and I've never used a sling for one...
Hey Paul, I met Boudicca at Kelmarsh...hehehe
Stefanos.....one thing I had always wanted to do....is to ride in a chariot........a la Boudicca...throwing wayward javelins... :wink:
I should think the worse problem would be if the ground is uneven or bumpy.....
regards
Arthes

Re: Festival registration - Comerus Gallus - 03-21-2006

What about a Bow? Big Grin

I saw reenactor during som medieval reenactment, that at the baltte he just was doing of what he would do with the bow...you know! :roll: ... and the metod was very safe, the arrows got some rubber in their heads, obiously not metal under it & the bow wasnt so strong, or perhaps we wouldn't pull all the way back in all its maximus strengh... they had fun , I bet you Arthes you would have that too is you try it... :wink:

Seriously, folks, it's still not certain we'll get a chariot and, if we do, what's allowed will be up to the chariot's owner and the horse wrangler.
If we can arrange some interesting experiments, that will be great.

Gioi, using under-powered bows and rubber-tipped arrows is fine for infantry, but in a chariot or on horseback, you've got to allow for the momentum imparted to your arrows by the transport. That would require some practice!

Re: Festival registration - Comerus Gallus - 03-21-2006

No I say so may Arthes do some combat!, I feel bad when she say she would love to fight, but she cant Sad ...what do you think?

Re: Festival registration - Gaius Opius Fugi - 03-22-2006

Stefanos,

Yesterday evening at 9pm on the History Channel there was a digging for the truth episode about Troy. On there, the guy went on a reproduction bronze age chariot and shot arrows and threw spears at a target with decent accuracy. So, it is possible to perform these acts from a moving chariot, the only problem being that his target wasn't moving also.

Cheers,
Adam

Re: Festival registration - Susanne - 03-22-2006

Quote: Scythed chariots? Shocked Are you MAD?! Shocked I haven't spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off! Go and play Boudicca with the Romans!

:lol:
Quote:Pity they didn't have plumbata throwing.....I like throwing plumbatae.....

This is an interesting weapon indeed, and I can't see why it wasn't put in practice earlier on as it's far more efficient than the pilum in terms of the number of projectiles each legionary could bring.