RomanArmyTalk
Greek footwear - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Greek footwear (/showthread.php?tid=4264)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Re: Greek footwear - Peter Raftos - 10-02-2008

Embades Normally red but white ones are mentioned. They were imported into Athens A nice essay on there symbolic significance in Aristopanes may be found here. Embades

Re: Greek footwear - PMBardunias - 10-02-2008

Thanks Peter, that must be where I read of lakonian boots. If anyone knows more about them I'd love to hear it.

Re: Greek footwear - Giannis K. Hoplite - 10-02-2008

Very nice article! They seem to distinguish shoes according to the region they're most populat. Persian for women(nota coincidence,I suspect) and Laconian for men. However we all know that a name doen't make the difference. For instance we in Greece call a type of machine coffee "French" while we're the only ones in the world,not even the French call it like this,and it originated ain another country.
Khairete
Giannis

Re: Greek footwear - rogue_artist - 10-11-2008

The image below is absolutely Marvelous!!! Are there any more images of this piece of artwork? Is it a pot?

thank you,
-Jason

Quote:Seems that the flaps are made of Leopard skin

[Image: img354.jpg]

Re: Greek footwear - Giannis K. Hoplite - 10-11-2008

Yep,hundreds.Distinctive style of late 5th century and early 4th. Do a small search on google for greek vases you'll come up with,well,many results. Some of them will be of similar style.
Khaire
Giannis

Re: Greek footwear - rogue_artist - 10-13-2008

thank you!

Re: Greek footwear - rogue_artist - 10-15-2008

Has anyone done business with these folks?

Aegean Sandal Company
http://www.venushill.itgo.com/index.html

I asked them if they have had any history enthusiasts buy their sandals for what we do and they named 3 different pair. Specifically styles # 46, 51 and 56 (mens sandals)

Do they look alright?

The price is pretty reasonable, though I do not know what shipping would be. I originally found them on ebay.

Re: Greek footwear - M. Demetrius - 10-15-2008

Do you have any leatherworking skills? Sandalia like those are not that hard to make, and do not take many tools.

All the sandals on that list have heels, and while they are low, as far as I know, ancient Greek shoes did not. It could be that the heels are removable without much trouble, I don't know how they're constructed exactly. If they are glued, it's possible to work them loose. If they are molded plastic in one piece (likely) then you're stuck.

Largely, what you choose to wear will be a result of a group decision...that is, if you're working with a group. I have seen a supplier who makes a Roman sandal something like the 51 on your list, his being patterned after a found shoe. That's not Greek, though. http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisand ... andals.htm
Start here. These are really simple instructions on how to make these. The pair on top has similarity to the 51. Be sure to use a soft leather for the string, or you will wish you had when you have walked a while in them. Hope that helps. Costs for a pair should be around 10-15 dollars, I'd think. Vegetable tanned leather isn't that expensive. I don't think Greeks used hobnails, so you can omit that set of steps.

Hope that helps.

Re: Greek footwear - ouragos - 10-15-2008

Actually, one of the earliest forms of 'advertising' found was a remnant of a greek prostitute's shoe (please don't ask me how they knew it actually did belong to a prostitute...I just read this in a book and it was short of some of the interesting detail).... it had the words 'follow me' in studs on the sole.

Oh - 6th Cbce by the way.

Re: Greek footwear - Giannis K. Hoplite - 10-15-2008

Hi Jason. None of them is really accurate,but since no one makes accurate greek sandals,46 would be ok,and better with some easy modifications. My personal taste,but I'd prefer them in their ligh brown colour.
Khaire
Giannis

Re: Greek footwear - Giannis K. Hoplite - 10-15-2008

Quote:Actually, one of the earliest forms of 'advertising' found was a remnant of a greek prostitute's shoe (please don't ask me how they knew it actually did belong to a prostitute...I just read this in a book and it was short of some of the interesting detail).... it had the words 'follow me' in studs on the sole.

paul,I don't think it was found,i think some ancient writer mentions this,that prostitutes formed the word "follow me" with their hobnails so men could see their footprints. Also an interesting clue that back them modesty was required even by prostitutes. I don't think it needs to be written anywhere today that one is prostitute to understand it!
Khaire
Giannis

Re: Greek footwear - ouragos - 10-15-2008

Quote:I don't think it was found,i think some ancient writer mentions this,that prostitutes formed the word "follow me" with their hobnails

That makes sense - I wondered how someone could claim they knew the profession of the wearer simply by an artefact. This is the problem when you read something that has been watered down.

Makes the point about hobmails though....

Re: Greek footwear - rogue_artist - 10-15-2008

Quote:Do you have any leatherworking skills? Sandalia like those are not that hard to make, and do not take many tools.

Thanks for that link! I guess it cannot be any more difficult than medieval turn shoes! LOL Those are ghastly.

Quote:Actually, one of the earliest forms of 'advertising' found was a remnant of a greek prostitute's shoe (please don't ask me how they knew it actually did belong to a prostitute...I just read this in a book and it was short of some of the interesting detail).... it had the words 'follow me' in studs on the sole.

That is an interesting Tidbit!

Quote:Hi Jason. None of them is really accurate,but since no one makes accurate greek sandals,46 would be ok,and better with some easy modifications. My personal taste,but I'd prefer them in their ligh brown colour.
Khaire
Giannis

I also think the brown looks better. The bottom-most part, they say, is rubber, while the upper sole is leather. So I guess I could remove the rubber portion (and thus the heel) and glue on one more leather portion.

But I think I will get a leather remnants bag and just try to make a pair first real quick. I found a couple of statues with good sandal detail (like 46) so Ill try that.

thanks everyone!!!

Re: Greek footwear - John Conyard - 01-23-2009

I've made some cavalry boots to do temporary service until I can get some proffessionally made. This has made me consider where the seam on the boot should be.

I would be interested in other people's opinions on the design of the tall cavalry boot/Thracian boot, and the position of the seam. My initial instict was that the seam should be at the front, and possibly at the back, with front lacing. But a seam on the off-side would make sense.

Help please!

Re: Greek footwear - Giannis K. Hoplite - 01-23-2009

Hi John. In sculpture no seam is visible. There were two types of high boots(at least),the Thracian and another simpler type,the one that most horsemen in the Parthenon sculptures wear. None show seams-as far as i can remember,but they're kostly shown on profile. Perhaps a seam only in the back?
Khaire
Giannis