RomanArmyTalk
Greek footwear - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Greek footwear (/showthread.php?tid=4264)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Re: Greek footwear - Giannis K. Hoplite - 01-24-2008

I had seen this before and knew only that it was Roman. Certainly anachronistic,it looks more like modern depiction,with the elaborate crest and the strange muscled cuirass.
Together with the sandals,the most interesting on him is his chiton.It's one of the very few depictions of the curved and pleated chiton in a realistic sculpture,and Gioi,you can see it favours the way I told you I suspect it was made/like womens's dresses. The fake sleeve,however,shows that it's more modern and not early 5th century.
Does anybody have a bigger photo?I'd like to see the details of the sandals on the original.Very interesting piece indeed!
Khairete
Giannis

Re: Greek footwear - hoplite14gr - 01-24-2008

Yes but note that his sandals are very similar to those of the Mycenean frescoes! And in Asmolean collection the have a 5th century Beotian cap eith similar boots and there is a 4th century Athenian cap depicting Theseus with this boots too. Fashions change or probably not.

Kind regards

Re: Greek footwear - hoplite14gr - 09-08-2008

Ancient cowboy boot!!!!!!

Re: Greek footwear - Giannis K. Hoplite - 09-08-2008

It reminds me some etruscan boots I have seen on frescos and sculptures,as well as some boots of a Medusa(i think this one is also etruscan though) and some depictions of Hermes.
But not only.Some vases,presumably Attic,show similar boots and shoes in both men and women,and often left in front of the coutches in symposiums.
Where does this leg come from,Stefane? Is it sort of a vase or something?
Khaire
Giannis

Re: Greek footwear - M. Demetrius - 09-08-2008

Hmm. Maybe he just worked in the stables?

Re: Greek footwear - hoplite14gr - 09-09-2008

Its Rhodian pottery (Very rare) 5th century.
Its from a private auction site and probably comes from the vaunted Axel Gutmann collection.

Kind regards

Re: Greek footwear - Giannis K. Hoplite - 09-09-2008

Thanks. It's very beautiful.

Re: Greek footwear - MikeTrevor - 09-15-2008

Hi Stefanos

Thanks for the picture of the Rhodian boot - do you have any more pictures of it please?

Thanks

Mike

Re: Greek footwear - hoplite14gr - 09-15-2008

Please see P.M.

Kind regards

Re: Greek footwear - MikeTrevor - 09-22-2008

From a statue of Artemis in the Louvre - Roman copy of a Greek original.

Regards

Mike

Re: Greek footwear - hoplite14gr - 09-23-2008

Variation of the "Ifikraditian" with "thrakic" decoration.
Intersting.

Kind regards

Re: Greek footwear - Giannis K. Hoplite - 09-23-2008

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elissacorsini/2046728025/
This sandal looks much like the Achilles and Patroclus vase sandal,although it's not identical. Their main difference is that this one is secured with a string between the toes while Achilles' ones apear to have a verical stripe above the toes.
Khairete
Giannis

Re: Greek footwear - PMBardunias - 09-23-2008

A while back I came across a reference to "spartan shoes", presumably mistranslated sandals of some sort, in the context of an Athenian being chastised for Laconizing by wearing them. Saddly I do not remember where I came across this. Is anyone aware of a style specifically known as "Spartan" footwear?

Re: Greek footwear - Giannis K. Hoplite - 09-23-2008

Quote:Is anyone aware of a style specifically known as "Spartan" footwear?
Yep.No footwear!
Seriously,I haven't heard of anything like that,but usually ancient greek comedy is a regular source of information about Athenian and Laconian customs. Another source is Plato.
Khaire
Giannis

Re: Greek footwear - MikeTrevor - 09-23-2008

I've read somewhere (can't remember where) about "Embades" ankle boots that, for Spartans, were red (some other group wore white).

Regards

Mike