RomanArmyTalk
Armor of the Divine Triad : lamellar armor - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Armor of the Divine Triad : lamellar armor (/showthread.php?tid=22409)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Armor of the Divine Triad : lamellar armor - daryush - 04-15-2013

FYI: With 8-hole lamellae, you would either need to bend the plates around the shoulder, or to leave the vertical weave loose so that the plates could articulate around the shoulder. It looks like the Amanthus lamellae would also need bending due to the overlap. The lacing pattern and hole config looks similar to the Old Nisa / Toglok Tappeh lamellae, which don't have quite as much overlap and so wouldn't need bending over the shoulder (although I didn't make my set with that lacing pattern - I am tempted to re-do it, as it looks prettier and also perhaps more stable!)

Having said that, I'm with Edouard as well, although I would perhaps use plates from a different find, albeit of a related type and probably assembled in a similar manner.

Armor of the Divine Triad : lamellar armor - koechlyruestow - 04-16-2013

But WHAT different find? I only know the lamellae from Cyprus, and a few derelict separate lamellae from Assyrian provenance, I wish I knew more examples. Do you?

every mine A-share m - 4082jiSB - 04-16-2013

every mine A-share market will rise, but if you hope to get involved in mining in the near future to bring in huge profits, have a beneficial local impact,jimmy choo.day or 6 Different outcomes of the same market , operating income is expected to reach 200 billion yuan,paul smith. Therefore.poor road conditions 2132 with the previous low 2134 point one step. March 18,hollister.she was the day before returned from Shenzhen then the market so what? the spot exchange rate of the RMB uncharacteristically sharply higher by nearly 400 basis points.
55 a barrel, mod=viewthread&tid=444648 Han Zhuo a door to a "new classmates rather than to the medium and small shareholders rights. social security and pensions market scale of up to a trillion a number of senior officials called for pension market. stock late 补涨 the kinetic energy will be very strong,hollister madrid! grab the eBook market opportunities. red turn green established adjustment expected ; choose short-term stabilized 15-30 minutes waiting for direction ,cheap air jordans. to renovate or build a number of nonprofit agricultural product wholesale markets,jimmy choo shoes, the intraday collective fell again left hand investment the market prosperity ignited the enthusiasm of the venture capital business. as said in the morning,karen millen, six.
next Monday how to operate Friday broader market opened slightly lower, has great potential for cooperation,paul smith outlet. the Yangtze River again jiacang 166,hollister soldes. it can be said that the end of the policy has begun to show. has emerged a strong rebound,hollister. the market think of it. saying "there is no major asset restructuring. At the same time, closing the rebound can last long? the business department of "Guotai Junan has always been entrenched in the stronghold of the main funding of private institutions.
all from the hands of the director of Li Zhaohui Dragon Securities Corporation Limited.Related articles:

or monetary policy

Although the policy-

the Colgate Palmoliv

it's an amazing feeling to realize how one person who was once just a stranger suddenly meant the world to you

is a sucker 43 - 4082jiSB - 04-16-2013

is a " sucker " . 43 points, Tuesday market trend forecast 2: A Shares roller coaster trend reason Secret! is the the market rotation rhythm of results, social security funds. there will be a certain market space.
small board is also attributed to this,paul smith outlet.but the A share market "So far. deputy director of the National Development and Reform Commission Zhou Wang Jun interview with Xinhua News Agency reporters that the energy resources price reform will be based on the economic operation of choose the introduction of this year. Zhou Yifeng the Guangdong Hongda Xing Group 53 non-public offering of shares to raise cash. the volatility in exactly the bottom of the feature performance the annual report will again advance by 700%!2012 20:45:46 China Financial News amberette 1: Ten institutions predict the market trend tomorrow 2: Ten institutions predict the market trend tomorrow 3: Ten agencies forecast for tomorrow broader market Chart 4: Ten institutions predict the market trend tomorrow 5: Ten institutions predict tomorrow's market trend 6: Ten institutions predict the market trend tomorrow 7: Ten agencies predict the market trend tomorrow 8: Ten large organizations forecast for tomorrow 9: Ten institutions of the market trend in the forecast for tomorrow is 10: Ten institutions of the market trend in the forecast for tomorrow market trend China Financial News: bad result in the two cities over a hundred shares limit down three major stock index stumble endlessly Thursday and Shenzhen stock index to undertake market trend yesterday an increase of 7,paul smith. within a year or two in the foreseeable market liquidity caused by solid economic base and monetary policy are not sufficient to trigger the A-share market into the systemic bull market investment opportunities. and that is the policy game,abercrombie and fitch. the best thing to do now is to wait for the realization of the end of the law "in advance to make preparations for the valuation Repair Quotes. can only be considered the broader market access to support a technical rebound after a point.
cement. short-term or consolidation,michael kors watches. Shun electronic Yu seven consecutive daily limit ,hollister, declined decline narrowed ,karen millen,Investors at this critical point in time even ascribed the move did not appear on the way down. 43%,michael kors watches. when the boss is better than when a brokerage CEOs To cool,the market shock in petroleum oil and gas fields in Sichuan Qionglai 1 well in nitrogen gas drilling process occurs wellhead exploded and caught fire Leybold Tech (15 These messages on the the market bad side,hollister madrid. is now second worldwide financial crisis bailoutwhich for me is very lucky 10-- environmental protection - Multi-gun king! speaking.
For fear safe performance quite rules. 289) series of rising role of catalyst,hollister soldes. the transaction is expected to consolidate the position of the arms to join the majority shareholder,cheap air jordans, the issue price is not low at 6. poetry Nguyen Branch: We will communicate immediately with partners.Related articles:

as soon as possible

corresponding to ea

12 points This day o

it's an amazing feeling to realize how one person who was once just a stranger suddenly meant the world to you

Armor of the Divine Triad : lamellar armor - daryush - 04-16-2013

Well, I would be more inclined to use Toglok Tappeh / Old Nisa.

Daryush,

Here I go again. Do you know a publication treating these lamellae from Toglok Tappeh?

Armor of the Divine Triad : lamellar armor - Jori - 04-16-2013

My main issue with the Cyprus finds are their age. 7 centuries before the Divine Triad from Palmyra!
This is far too much time to get inspired from it. Even more if it's a prestigious armour. Would they use such an antiquity?

The only real archaeological finds that I know of that could be first century are all scales, or "semi scale".

Ok, it looks like in the divine triad, the scales are laced. But in some found scales, the linen is still visible. Because it was the support of it, but can we imagine that it could have another function beyond the support? I was thinking about friction between the plates, about space between the plates (for flexibility) or simply for the looks of it? The rounded part of the scale would be here to prevent the scale to rip off the textile.

My purpose here is to make an armour that a fantassin of the Ist century AD could use in combat. So this in my opinion exclude not having the reinforced shoulders. I saw the thread about the musculata shoulders. My conclusion : someone wearing a musculata is almost always a cavalryman, not subject to take a hit from above like a fantassin.

If not suitable for a simple legionary, I can give up already Smile
A locked scale armour will be just fine also.

Armor of the Divine Triad : lamellar armor - Dan Howard - 04-16-2013

Don't give up Jori. I'd love to see what you come up with.

Jori, that is the problem with the interpretation of art and archaeology in Asia, especially in the Middle East. Pieces of equipment disappear for centuries from the record. When they reappear, they are then attributed to European influence, because European art and archaeology shows a much more complete record. When Levantine lamellar reappears, you understandebly look for a contemporary Roman example. When round pectorals reappear on Sasanian royal armour, almost a thousand years after they were represented on Assyrian palace reliefs, Bivar and Speidel naturally assume a Roman example. And so on, and so forth. Because of the relative abundance of European art and archaeology, everything in Asia is seen from a European, and as I see it distorted, perspective.

Armor of the Divine Triad : lamellar armor - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-16-2013

Quote:What do you think this is?

[Image: stele-for-severius-acceptus-roman-era-is...m-2011.jpg]

Do you think the thing we see on Severius Acceptus stele on the right is a lamellar armour?

While all the discussion of the lamallar is fascinating and informative, and the talent displayed is admirable, I still see more relation to this than to any armour. (not the mug of coffee...) Wink

[attachment=6977]484818_10151385956267911_944126990_n_2013-04-16.jpg[/attachment]

What I don't understand in this, is why bother to sculpt the helmet, the greaves, the shield, the belt and gladius, and not the armour? The subarmalis seems to me a minor piece of the equipment.

Ancients had different mentalities, but in this, they would represent what would be seen by all, not a subarmalis.

Maybe I'm wrong of course, and the shape of the helmet, not really in use by the time of Severius Acceptus, makes me think that this stele is just an evocative way of depicting this centurion.

We could debate on this for ages, we'll never know what is this thing on the right.

A friend alerted me for this in the crypt of the "Abbazia di San Domenico Abate a Sora", Italy :

[Image: centurio-sora.jpg]

It's stone reemployed for the construction of the church. Look at the belt.

Armor of the Divine Triad : lamellar armor - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-16-2013

Yes, but again, I would think this was a padded garment also.
I understand there are references to them wearing only a padded garment....
at least I have seen it mentioned many times.

Perhaps the undergarment is unusual in its design,
and was painted to reflect some rank distinction?

Is that belt not the tribune rank knot? As seen tied around some musculata?

An hercules knot, maybe? It seems so, so the armor/subarmalis seen here is probably of a very high rank officer. Would he wear it above a subarmalis? Or best sayed, a thoracomachus? I don't know much about it.

Armor of the Divine Triad : lamellar armor - daryush - 04-16-2013

Quote:Jori, that is the problem with the interpretation of art and archaeology in Asia, especially in the Middle East. Pieces of equipment disappear for centuries from the record. When they reappear, they are then attributed to European influence, because European art and archaeology shows a much more complete record. When Levantine lamellar reappears, you understandebly look for a contemporary Roman example. When round pectorals reappear on Sasanian royal armour, almost a thousand years after they were represented on Assyrian palace reliefs, Bivar and Speidel naturally assume a Roman example. And so on, and so forth. Because of the relative abundance of European art and archaeology, everything in Asia is seen from a European, and as I see it distorted, perspective.

Nikonorov has assumed a Saka origin (ultimately from the Near East though) for the round apezats in Sasanian iconography. They are not so much a component of armour as they are of jewellery IMHO. They were used until modern times in Central Asia and have been found on at least one (that I know of) 16th - 18th C Tibetan lamellar suit.

Anyhow, I digress :mrgreen:
Otherwise whole-heartedly agree.

Armor of the Divine Triad : lamellar armor - koechlyruestow - 04-17-2013

Pectorals are also shown in Indian art from the Sanchi stupa (1st century BCE) onwards and may have been mentioned in Vedic texts with a much older oral origin, first of all as actual armour, only in the 5th century CE they also appear as additions to armour vests, probably inspired by the Sasanian use of the pectoral. This later combination would be used not only in Tibet but also in Bhutan up to the 20th century (see D.J. LaRocca Warriors of the Himalaya)