RomanArmyTalk
Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum (CIL) online - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum (CIL) online (/showthread.php?tid=22018)

Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum (CIL) online - D B Campbell - 01-16-2013

I just made a fantastic discovery, which I simply had to share! (I'm pretty sure that it hasn't been mentioned here before, as I almost fell off my chair when I found it.)

The Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum -- almost all of it! -- is available online at Arachne. :woot:

For example, here is the wonderful Volume VII: Inscriptiones Britanniae Latinae (ed. Huebner, 1873). The granddaddy of RIB.

The links are all on this page. Enjoy, epigraphiles!

Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum (CIL) online - jvrjenivs - 01-16-2013

Cool. That is one of the best resource websites I can imagine. Thanks for posting Duncan.

Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum (CIL) online - Vindex - 01-16-2013

Wow! That is a good find. Thank you for sharing. Smile

Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum (CIL) online - Flavivs Aetivs - 01-16-2013

Should we sticky this?

Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum (CIL) online - mcbishop - 01-16-2013

Quote:The links are all on this page. Enjoy, epigraphiles!
Many thanks for that, but I would dispute the lineage. Surely Horsley is grandpa of RIB; CIL is more like a surrogate father ;-)

Incidentally, Arachne has a scan of MacLauchlan's survey of Hadrian's Wall. I am, however, slightly puzzled by their licence: they claim a by-nc-nd CC licence but it is not clear whether that is just their text/layout or whatever or if they are also claiming that for the out-of-copyright documents they are presenting. Blanket licences are always vague and these days, such things matter (think JSTOR & Aaron Swartz; a proportion of JSTOR content is out of copyright now). There is even a word for falsely claiming copyright where it does not exist: copyfraud.

Mike Bishop

Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum (CIL) online - ValentinianVictrix - 01-16-2013

Thanks for this wonderful find Duncan, much appreciated.

Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum (CIL) online - Simplex - 01-16-2013

Thanks a lot Duncan.
Saves me a lot of diggin'around.

Greez

Simplex

Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum (CIL) online - Medusa Gladiatrix - 01-17-2013

Just recently I tried to find an inscription of the CIL on the internet, now you state this link, awesome! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum (CIL) online - Spurius Papirius Cursor - 02-04-2013

Just caught up with this. Wonderful!! Thank you indeed Duncan!

SPC/Howard

Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum (CIL) online - Sean Manning - 02-04-2013

A nice compliment to the Epigrapische Datenbank Clauss-Slaby! The later site has transcriptions, but they are not all well-done and well-proofread, especially the expansions of abbreviations.

Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum (CIL) online - mcbishop - 02-04-2013

Quote:A nice compliment to the Epigrapische Datenbank Clauss-Slaby! The later site has transcriptions, but they are not all well-done and well-proofread, especially the expansions of abbreviations.
Too right! I suspect I am developing a skeletal malformation that later generations will diagnose as coming from clutching RIB whilst checking Clauss-Slaby entries ;-)

Mike Bishop