RomanArmyTalk
Battle Orders \"Roman Sparta\" sword - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Battle Orders \"Roman Sparta\" sword (/showthread.php?tid=19801)

Pages: 1 2 3

Battle Orders \"Roman Sparta\" sword - Surena - 11-10-2011

Quite apart from the hilarious rendering of "spatha" as "Sparta", are these any good?

Not looking to spend vast amounts, for various reasons, and not necessarily after meticulous historical accuracy. I'm not a reenactor, it's complicated but basically I'm after something that doesn't look outrageously shoddy or out of place on a late Roman auxiliary cavalryman stationed in Britain, and that won't fall apart just because it's attached to somebody on a galloping horse.

Cheers

Dan

Re: Battle Orders \"Roman Sparta\" sword - Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-10-2011

I haven't seen it, but was wondering about the Roman Spartans....
Any links or makers info?

Re: Battle Orders \"Roman Sparta\" sword - caiusbeerquitius - 11-10-2011

Sparta Sword ;-)
This thread should rather be in marketplace, though...

Re: Battle Orders \"Roman Sparta\" sword - Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-10-2011

Ah well, another of the blocked sites...
guess I will find out eventually!

Re: Battle Orders \"Roman Sparta\" sword - Paul Elliott - 11-10-2011

Looks a decent enough sword, but it doesn't look very late in style (either scabbard or pommel).

Re: Battle Orders \"Roman Sparta\" sword - Paul Elliott - 11-10-2011

Anything post Hadrian, you really want a sword with a slide on it, instead of those rings.

Re: Battle Orders \"Roman Sparta\" sword - Surena - 11-10-2011

Sorry, really should have put a link up! Wasn't sure which forum. Does anything related to buying kit go in the marketplace? I assumed that was if I had something I was selling or specifically wanted to buy. Got a gew more things I want opinions on so I'll put them in the marketplace.

Cheers

Dan

Re: Battle Orders \"Roman Sparta\" sword - magister clarissimus - 11-10-2011

I think the (Indian?) vendor is confusing Sparta and Spatha....

Re: Battle Orders \"Roman Sparta\" sword - John Conyard - 11-10-2011

You would need to rework the handle and scabbard. But the handle comes about easily.

The blade on the one I did was actually OK. It is still cutting cabbages for a friend several years later.

Re: Battle Orders \"Roman Sparta\" sword - Surena - 11-10-2011

Quote:You would need to rework the handle and scabbard. But the handle comes about easily.

The blade on the one I did was actually OK. It is still cutting cabbages for a friend several years later.

How much reworking are we talking about? I'm not bad with leatherwork but carpentry and smithing are not my strongpoints...

Re: Battle Orders \"Roman Sparta\" sword - John Conyard - 11-11-2011

Strip the fake leather cover and metal fittings from the scabbard. Re-cover the wooden core with leather, decorate the leather and paint it.

Take the hilt apart, discard the black metal handle, make a new wood, bone or horn handle, maybe reshape the wooden parts and reassemble.

Re: Battle Orders \"Roman Sparta\" sword - Surena - 11-11-2011

And according to Mithras, put a slide on the scabbard rather than rings? Leather I can do. New metal slides: maybe!

Make a simple slide from wood or bone, fastened to the front of the scabbard using leather.

Here is the one I did a few years ago. Very simple.

[attachment=2079]CIMG2948.JPG[/attachment]

Re: Battle Orders \"Roman Sparta\" sword - Paul Elliott - 11-11-2011

Or bronze slides are fairly cheap, I even have one spare you could have for free ... but, have a look around, you may find a late period spatha that needs no additional work.

Competitively priced 3rd and 4th c spathas can be found here: http://www.medieval-arms.co.uk/ma/action-list/cat_id-51/celts-and-romans-sword.html

That is generous. A copper alloy slide would look good.

But I fear the blades/tangs on these Indian swords are often over-tempered, making the metal brittle. If you plan on cutting anything with the sword, especially on horse back, the blades/tangs on these swords will break. Cavalry swords in particular have to be fit for purpose.

But the scabbards can be re-worked and the fake leather covers replaced so they look OK to pose with. The fittings on the scabbards can be re-used, and I understand the wooden cores do fit Albion blades.

I fear there really is not a simple cheap solution when it comes to buying a late spatha. You need to base one on a decent blade, get a good sword from a group smith, or spend some money.