RomanArmyTalk
Seg. (Corbridge B model) from Emmanuel Van Hoof. - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Seg. (Corbridge B model) from Emmanuel Van Hoof. (/showthread.php?tid=19555)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Seg. (Corbridge B model) from Emmanuel Van Hoof. - Rado - 02-26-2013

The rear of the seg.Corbridge B
[Image: img1290qw.th.jpg]

These hinges are manufactured entirely by me in our club (the left and right).I was compelled to do it after the Deepeeka hingesin (in the middle) began to break. We all hope that they will start to produce them (the hinges)in a correct way! I have already supplied Mr.Gagan Agarwal with a sample of hinge made by me!
[Image: img1227jd.th.jpg]

This is а Deepeeka Seg. with a changed-repaired hinge from me.
[Image: img1292kb.th.jpg]
[Image: img1234ok.th.jpg]

Re: Seg. (Corbridge B model) from Emmanuel Van Hoof. - Tarbicus - 02-26-2013

Quote:No one provided evidence for this "reverse angle" turn to the neck!?
Why no one produces them like this (except us)?
But it is claimed in RAT that it is the right way?
From practice in our "battles with the Dacians " it showed that it is not practical!
Even on the contrary, it threatens the life of a legionnaire?

Hi Rado, I think something to consider is the mass of arteries and nerves that are closer to the surface of the skin where the neck and shoulder join. By having the point towards the neck, they're given more protection by the thicker plate of the upper shoulder guard, whereas the plate that joins the chest plates and back plates is thinner.

http://www.internationalshoulderjournal.org/viewimage.asp?img=IntJShoulderSurg_2010_4_3_63_76963_f5.jpg

The median nerve has more protection from the clavicle bone once it's past the pointy shoulder plate.

http://neckpainsupport.typepad.com/.a/6a010534db265a970c0154366ccb15970c-320wi

The shoulder also doesn't only raise, but also lowers. When the shoulder is lowered to perhaps stab an opponent from below, this means that more of the neck and shoulder region is protected by the armour while that area of the body is more exposed to a longer downward blow from above.

That's my opinion anyway

Re: Seg. (Corbridge B model) from Emmanuel Van Hoof. - Tarbicus - 02-28-2013

Rado, take a look at page 124 (PDF page 132), figure 21, in Mike Thomas's 'Lorica Segmentata Vol.II'.

The description says the point is pointed away from the neck, but the illustration looks like it's pointed towards the neck, if those are the lesser shoulder guards to the left of the image (?).

If Mike Thomas is reading this, any chance of a clarification? If the description's right, I'll STFU :wink:

Re: Seg. (Corbridge B model) from Emmanuel Van Hoof. - Gaius Julius Caesar - 02-28-2013

Here is a photo of a legionary in a correctly assembled Seg 'B' Rado! Confusedmile:
[attachment=6543]61879_430582942131_1348032_n_2013-02-28.jpg[/attachment]

Oh wait....damn!!! :mrgreen:

Re: Seg. (Corbridge B model) from Emmanuel Van Hoof. - Rado - 03-01-2013

Really nice !We also have a similar one Gaius .But for me still evidence for those-turned edges are not sufficiently convincing. But it is debatable.

Seg. (Corbridge B model) from Emmanuel Van Hoof. - Rado - 11-24-2013

Once we have prepared everything necessary to finish the quality replacement of the Newstead hinges,we start with this task.
[Image: cg87.th.jpg]
The most important thing was to produce the correct hinges for this Newstead model.
[Image: tmfc.th.jpg]
The hinges are made of bent sheet brass. On the way they was made be archeology artifacts.
[Image: n8wo.th.jpg]

This is the final result (front and rear) after our improvement over the Newstead model made by Deepeeka .Lorica segmentata Newstead model is suitable for use in the period 2 and 3rd century.
[Image: tmpn.th.jpg]
This is the Deepeeka seg. before our intervention,with their commonly used hinges.
[Image: m0zs.th.jpg]
The question of change is not very complicated but are required tools and some skills.
[Image: 63u8.th.jpg]
Just everything needed have to be prepared in advance
[Image: 0xrx.th.JPG]
[Image: by2m.th.jpg]

Seg. (Corbridge B model) from Emmanuel Van Hoof. - PhilusEstilius - 11-24-2013

Rado.
It may appear to be cheating a little but what I have found with lorica hinges is to reverse one half of the hinge before the hinge pin is fitted and this helps to take any strain off the hinge pin and its plates.
This is where the two plates of the shoulder that overlap can have both the ends of the hinge plates fitted to them both without any tension against the hinge pin, the drawing shows just how the overlap of the shoulder plates and the hinge are connected.

Rado.
It may appear to be cheating a little but what I have found with lorica hinges is to reverse one half of the hinge before the hinge pin is fitted and this helps to take any strain off the hinge pin and its plates.
This is where the two plates of the shoulder that overlap can have both the ends of the hinge plates fitted to them both without any tension against the hinge pin, the drawing shows just how the overlap of the shoulder plates and the hinge are connected.
[attachment=8442]img095_2013-11-24-2.jpg[/attachment]

Seg. (Corbridge B model) from Emmanuel Van Hoof. - Crispvs - 11-24-2013

Brian,

Isn't it normally the case with surviving examples, that each hinge piece is made of thin metal that has been doubled over, meaning that it is of two layers across its entire area? I can't see how your drawing acknowledges that fact. To my eyes the hinge pieces in your picture look more like modern hinges.

Crispvs

Crispvs.
There were indeed lorica hinges made from folded thin sheet however there have been others found of more solid structure, I don't have the picture at the moment but I do think a more solid one was found at Hod Hill.

Seg. (Corbridge B model) from Emmanuel Van Hoof. - Flavivs Aetivs - 11-24-2013

Wasn't there a Newstead model found dating to the late 3rd century?

I do not know Brian, I just guided from this archeology .:
[Image: hi3q.th.jpg]
From here you can see clearly, what kind is the hinge and what is the situation with it.
[Image: i9z4.th.jpg]
From here it is clear that the hinges are made up of double curved bronze sheet.
[Image: zp2b.th.jpg]