RomanArmyTalk
New forum/Community - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New forum/Community (/showthread.php?tid=18184)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Re: New forum/Community - Praefectusclassis - 01-21-2011

Howard: did you try retyping it? Probably got mangled in the database migration (even though both were UTF-8 )
Moi: Did you try http://www.ancient-warfare.org/community/profile/privacy

Re: New forum/Community - Ghostmojo - 01-21-2011

Quote:Howard: did you try retyping it? Probably got mangled in the database migration (even though both were UTF-8 )

No. I will have a go at this. I am slowly putting things back into shape. My old avatar looked crap at large size so I've picked a new one. I miss our little national flags though! I am having difficulty getting my profile edited. Some things it seems to accept - others it won't. I'd like to change my email but can't. Can't figure out how to add footnotes. Not sure how to alter my location etc. I inputed the info about gender, nationality etc. but it didn't take. I guess it's going to take time to sort all this out?

Cheers Jasper Smile

HJ

Re: New forum/Community - Gaius Julius Caesar - 01-21-2011

Vindex, that is just the discussion threads, as opposed to the Database itself.:o

Jasper, thanks I was really wondering what I was doing wrong there!!8-)

Jasper, i think i understand where yo uare going wit hthe new format, and it certainly has potential. Not all of us have access to professional photographers to do our avatars, so my rely on the odd quick photo of opportunity to show our impressions.Wink
i like the idea of a centralized pool of photographs to view, and allow in a glance ot see what other people have acheived ,and where I need to improve to keep up my standards.
The cental forum is certainly the place to discuss things as always, but I think in the long run, you have opened up a wider range of possibilities for expanding peoples knowledge, and easing their access to information.
It's up to those of you with the knowledge to make the best of this opportunity
as it will only be appreciated, and more than likely be developed by newer comers to the forum.

Re: New forum/Community - Magnus - 01-22-2011

John, I'd give it a bit of time first. It's been the same group of people for the most part posting on RAT/RAC for the last few years anyway, so I don't think much is going to change there. There's a large number of people who don't use RAT/RAC (what are we calling this place now?) and will continue to post on their own groups. Just the way it is.

Plus the new features are simply a means to keep up on new trends in how people use the internet. The nice thing is you don't have to use them.

Re: New forum/Community - Anonymous - 01-23-2011

Hello, this is Batavian from the old forum. Have all the user accounts been deleted so that every member now has to register a new account to be able to access the forum again? Because I can't login on the forum anymore, even though I'm using the right username and password. Fortunately I can still post as a guest but I'd like to be able to use my old account again.

Re: New forum/Community - Titvs Statilivs Castvs - 01-23-2011

Quote:Hello, this is Batavian from the old forum. Have all the user accounts been deleted so that every member now has to register a new account to be able to access the forum again? Because I can't login on the forum anymore, even though I'm using the right username and password. Fortunately I can still post as a guest but I'd like to be able to use my old account again.

You have to use the "forgot my password"-function. You will get a new password for your old account. Afterwards you can change it back into your old one. :grin:

Re: New forum/Community - Batavian - 01-23-2011

Quote:You have to use the "forgot my password"-function. You will get a new password for your old account. Afterwards you can change it back into your old one. :grin:
It worked! Thanks! Big Grin

EDIT: somehow my old avatar got replaced by someone elses, this is fixed now.

Re: New forum/Community - Ghostmojo - 01-23-2011

I recognise that the larger portion of this forum is concerned with Roman topics, but there is a sizeable section devoted to Greek subjects, and to other ancient powers and cultures.

Some of these things clearly overlap anyway (Carthage etc.)

Would it not be more prudent now - with all the recent changes etc. - to rechristen this site Ancient Army . com? Or Greek and Roman Armies? Or something else altogether? I can see it is no longer RAT, but seems to be RAC (so do you now offer roadside assistance as part of the membership?Wink).

Re: New forum/Community - jvrjenivs - 01-23-2011

First, I think John Conyard introduced the term RAC, but I would rather still use RAT. It's the same forum as before, but with some new features added. Big Grin

Anyway, as you maybe can see, you can now also reach this place using the website
http://www.ancient-warfare.org, which would certainly vouch for a broader view as only the Roman army Big Grin Note, also that in the past we've had ACT (ancient civ talk) GAT (greek army talk) and some more, and they also brought together under the biggest part (which was and is RAT) as to get everything together.

Re: New forum/Community - Robert Vermaat - 01-24-2011

Hi Howard,
Quote:I recognise that the larger portion of this forum is concerned with Roman topics, but there is a sizeable section devoted to Greek subjects, and to other ancient powers and cultures.

Some of these things clearly overlap anyway (Carthage etc.)

Would it not be more prudent now - with all the recent changes etc. - to rechristen this site Ancient Army . com? Or Greek and Roman Armies? Or something else altogether? I can see it is no longer RAT, but seems to be RAC (so do you now offer roadside assistance as part of the membership?Wink).

Like Jurjen said, although we always had a spot for non-Roman topics (ie Ancient, Greek or barbarian), and once even a separate Civilian (CAT) and a Greek (GAT) forum, for the most part this forum was a place where all these topics could be discussed. Most discussions (by FAR the most) are about the Roman army however, and no plans exist to the best of my knowledge to alter the name of the forum. We're RAT and we'll remain RAT. To me personally it's a brand name.Wink

Re: New forum/Community - Ghostmojo - 01-24-2011

Oh RATS !!! :twisted:

Re: New forum/Community - Ioannis - 01-24-2011

Hi there!

I was wondering what happened with our ranks/medals.

Quote:I was wondering what happened with our ranks/medals.
All gone Iohannis.:wink:

I just noticed that in the forum profile, the link to LinkedIn duplicates the http://www.linkedin.com/in/ part of the url, killing the link. When I only wrote the part after that, it worked fine.

Oddly, the same happens to the link to Facebook, only when I enter everything after the http://www.facebook.com/ part does it work Ok.
However, contrary to LinkedIn, no matter what I enter, Facebook takes me to my profile page anyway. Wink

No idea how this affects the other networks.

Re: New forum/Community - Praefectusclassis - 01-24-2011

Hi Ioannis
I have found a new medal component that can do the same, but haven't had time / chance to do anything further with it, or transfer all old medals to your new accounts. They is not lost tho! (Robert is being a meany-head)
Robert: if you hover over the text-boxes, it actually says 'Your Facebook Name' (etc), so it's not asking for a full link.